Muikamachi Hakkaisan, Niigata - Saturday 3rd March 2012

So after a month off, I finally made my return to the slopes this weekend! :D Not to Fukushima , as originally planned, but to Niigata and more specifically, Muikamachi Hakkaisan in Minamiuonuma, courtesy of a free ticket in the SJ Giveaways - thanks guys! :thumbsup:

I’ll post a Resort Review via SJ Insider and a more personalised, wordier review in my blog but in short, I had a fun time despite some patchy visibility and snow conditions. Here are a few photos and comments:-

View from the bottom pair lift

Mick%20Rich_206.JPG

View from the top pair lift - to be fair the visibility wasn't always this poor!

Mick%20Rich_208.JPG

The ropeway from the "Champion" course

Mick%20Rich_209.JPG

It's difficult to see but the orange webbing gives you an idea how deep this hole around a chairlift stanchion was! Fair play to whoever had to dig it!!

Mick%20Rich_210.JPG

Inviting trees!

Mick%20Rich_211.JPG

Invitation accepted!

Mick%20Rich_219.JPG

Iron horse

Mick%20Rich_214.JPG

I'll put some more photos in my blog. Thanks again SJ and Prince Snow Resorts! :friend:

Good to see you got back on that (iron) horse after your operation. :thumbsup:

That hole around the chairlift pole is scary. They dug that on purpose?

How was the snow condition? Powdery? Spring-like?

Did Smart Cheese have a good time (despite that glowering geezer)?

Full blog review with more pix just posted:- http://www.snowjapanforums.com/index.php/blog/17/entry-82-return-of-the-mick-muikamachi-hakkaisan-minamiuonuma-niigata/

Good to see you got back on that (iron) horse after your operation. :thumbsup:

That hole around the chairlift pole is scary. They dug that on purpose?

How was the snow condition? Powdery? Spring-like?

Did Smart Cheese have a good time (despite that glowering geezer)?

Cheers Metabo! :thumbsup:

Yeah, those holes had been dug around lots of the stanchions on the top pair lift, I'm guessiing for safety reasons. The snow was ok up top, not super light or fluffy but not bad for early March. Things got decidely heavier and Spring-like further down though, as you'd expect. & yes, Smart Cheese enjoyed his day out in Niigata and celebrated with a bottle of red wine! ;)

Enjoyed that and your blog post too mick.

Is that the place with the really really fast ropeway?

Cheers! :thumbsup: & can i return the compliment by saying that you're my favourite combini! ;)

Yeah, that's the one but tbh, I couldn't tell if it was faster than, say, the Furano one, because I only rode it once at the beginning of the day and wasn't really paying attention!! :lol:

No worries! :thumbsup:

& that vid reminds me of the noise it makes:- if you're underneath then on the way up the full car sounds like some sort of laser battle in Battlestar Galactica but on the way down, the empty car sounds like a steam train!! Time for some more valium!! :D

The Ropeway is indeed very fast, it whizzes up. And indeed down.

In fact, here it is:

Hope you don't mind me posting that in your report Mick.

:friend:

:lol:

love it. want to go just to see that silly speedy ropeway