• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just trying to send positive chilly mojo there Jelly. You know.....

Powder day yesterday and snowing again in Niseko today.

yeah, the school is very conservative.....this summer for example they had a school trip to Eton in England!! :omg: Of course with my smooth charm and wonderful breeding, I fit right in here!! :D

Not looking good at all mid next week for Honshu. Freezing level expected to get above 3000m and a reasonable amount of rain. Not quite so dire up in Hokkaido but also nothing that good to look forward to.

And the cold air predicted for the end of next week has disappeared in the Unisys latest update.... :sadface:

Thats still Mystic Meg territory so a lot could change between now and then.....

Let's not get too fussy now chaps! Plenty of snow out there, might not be that fluffy virgin pow pow, but it is most definitely rideable and enjoyable...so get out there and enjoy!! Beautiful sunshiny day here in Hirafu today, my last on the hill for the Northern season. No point heading out early, just be crispy ... But by now should be lovely.

Bit of snow about this afternoon in Niseko. Still just dust on crust though. I went for a snowshoe out to Hangetsu-ko at the base of Youtei today. Was very nice.

Bit of snow about this afternoon in Niseko. Still just dust on crust though. I went for a snowshoe out to Hangetsu-ko at the base of Youtei today. Was very nice.
Cartainly wasn't deep, but jeez GN...there was plenty of snow to play in. Annupuri was nice, staying high was the best choice wherever you went ... Can not believe so many people stick so totally to the groomers! A bit of a snow in the early afternoon meant there was lots of fresh areas in the later afternoon, especially amongst the trees...why do people not go there?!

Meanie!

Ahhhh well...two of my boys will be here for the next 3 weeks, so I can live vicariously through them.

They need to stay and practice anyway, fair way to go to 'bridge the gap' to Mama! LOL

(I am just kidding btw..)

One of the boys is an instructor Mick... This trip all he needed to tweak was my lead shoulder. I was still riding with a fairly open shoulder position on my toeside, which I practiced correcting most of the week. But I leave both of them in my wake for fitness. As soon as I get home I will be back into the personal training, with the sole motivation of being as fit as possible for the NEXT ski trip. Healthiest life choice I ever made, taking up snowboarding!

Let it snow, let it snow!

Cartainly wasn't deep, but jeez GN...there was plenty of snow to play in. Annupuri was nice, staying high was the best choice wherever you went ... Can not believe so many people stick so totally to the groomers! A bit of a snow in the early afternoon meant there was lots of fresh areas in the later afternoon, especially amongst the trees...why do people not go there?!

MB after having lived in Niseko for 7 years and done 8 seasons I have been lucky enough to ski some of the best powder days you'd experience anywhere on this planet. Today was most definitely not one of those days. I love deep powder. Knowing this mountain as well as I do I knew that today would not have been overly enjoyable for me. But I knew I would very much enjoy a walk out over one of my favourite little lakes in the region and I certainly did. I've never been that keen on ski resorts anyway. I like Niseko because I can spend nearly all my time off-piste and on sidecountry but if conditions aren't that great (which they weren't today) I much prefer to just head out somewhere well away from the ski lifts.

Said it in another thread but went to Maiko today and the conditions were very spring. Everything felt spring. Dry roads, even heard some birds singing at one point, a real spring feel to the air at the moment.

Having said that had a lot of fun.

I have done 20 (mostly half) days now, hope I will get in another 10 or so by the end of the season.

I really want to get to these places before the end of the season:

- Naeba

- Kagura

- Nozawa

- Myoko

Enough of Maiko for this season I reckon.

MB after having lived in Niseko for 7 years and done 8 seasons I have been lucky enough to ski some of the best powder days you'd experience anywhere on this planet. Today was most definitely not one of those days. I love deep powder. Knowing this mountain as well as I do I knew that today would not have been overly enjoyable for me. But I knew I would very much enjoy a walk out over one of my favourite little lakes in the region and I certainly did. I've never been that keen on ski resorts anyway. I like Niseko because I can spend nearly all my time off-piste and on sidecountry but if conditions aren't that great (which they weren't today) I much prefer to just head out somewhere well away from the ski lifts.

I certainly wouldn't argue with your preferences GN, but your definition of 'dust on crust' and mine must be polar opposites. Granted from Ace/Gondola down mostly fitted that description, but it was not like that up higher.

I can relate to GN on this one. As much I like powder, the quality of powder I can get here is a matter of luck ( meteo conditions, temp )

There is the depth were it get a bit tricky. One is not deep enough I hit the bottom (moguls, rock) and that is pretty much similar to groomed piste / dust on cust.

If money is not an issue, we probably get out there.