Im on a 1 year visa. But i want a nice smart phone so i can be part of the human race and update everything im doing right now to no one in particular (much like right now in fact).

Who should i go with?

Lets see, in priority:

1. Good phones at low low prices.

2. English accommodation.

3. No ten million years binding contracts.

Or should i just go to craigslist and buy someones POS iphone 2?

The big barrier to those will be that because im on a 1 year contract theyll give me the chotto thing and then explain i need to buy the phone outright and THEN i can use their contract. So thinking craigslist... but then this is complex. I know nothing about phones, technology and how arsey companies might be to lock you into a contract on a phone you actually own and dont need to rent/buy. Muzzzzzzuuuuuukassshiiii!

i honestly havent made up my mind. Last time i went back to brighton which i considered my natural home town... and realised its full of ****ing young people being hedonists.

Love the place, but im too old to be awesome and flamboyant there anymore.

So maybe ill take up surfing and go live on the west coast of ireland... or go back to scotland and claim that im scottish (even though ive lived there only 7 years of my life (0-5 and 12-14), and try and wangle free tuition so i can do my ever deferred masters degree.

Brighton ---- Kemptown (homosexual area of brighton) ---- whitehawk (one of the 2 brighton shithole estates)

They kemptown dudes create a natural barrier keeping the whitehawk estate kids out of brighton (or at least thinning the herd to keep them manageable). All hail kemptown! <3

Every 'contract' is for two years. It doesn't matter the type of visa you have though... they'll only ask for your gaijin card. You can buy yourself out of the contract with a penalty of about 10,000¥ after one year I think (for most contacts anyway). If you want the cheapest phone possible you should buy a pay as you go and then just not use it very much! You won't have to **** around with contracts as well.

If you want a phone that has is cheap but has no reception, then you could always try Softbank.

I think Tubby has some paper cups and string from Willcom and he seems to say they are cheaper still!

;)

3 for a pound!!! 3 for a pound!!!

Get your tin can and string phones here!!

here ye, here ye!!

3 for a pound!

screwed if i know. Im a luddite :)

So how does this all work?

Basically the scenario is thus:

I am on a 1 year visa. Softbank or whoever dont let you get into contracts on anything less than a 3 year visa... or rather, they dont let you have the hardware... but you can get on the contract...

So for example, trying to get the dongle for free wifi:

Softbank wanted me to pay full price on the kit (the wifi terminal - dongle - about 35000yen), and if i did that THEN i could use their 4000/month (which became 2800yen/month because i owned the dongle instead of part paid it monthly for 2 years).

SOOooooooooo

If i go to my nearest hard off or second hand store and buy one of the iphones, then i can just pop to softbank and get a monthly contract on it?

i failed :( My mates and i got slightly wasted last night in konosu and missed the alarm call :| woke up around noon. Still have a shitty hangover :) Kinda disappointed. Would rather be snowboarding than being a massive baby.

im a bad influence. On my own i can do shit, but with other people ill make a pigs ear of it :) And alas id still rather be out there. It was his first chance to ride japan and i bollocksed it up. And tonight is clubbing night which means early train home and almost zero chance of getting up in time to do a day anywhere. Maybe i might have to get ill on tuesday. :(