The Falklands (or 'the Malvinas Islands of Argentina')

Trouble brewing?

Made me laugh one of the 'headlines' on a UK paper today

Sean Penn (!? wtf?!) has accused Britain of colonialism and urged the government to open negotiations with Argentina over the Falkland Islands.

At a meeting with Argentine president Cristina Kirchner, the Left-wing Hollywood actor referred to the islands "the Malvinas Islands of Argentina" and said Britain should entered into a UN-sponsored dialogue over their sovereignty.

"The world today is not going to tolerate any ludicrous and archaic commitment to colonialist ideology," he said during the meeting in Buenos Aires.

“I know I came in a very sensitive moment in terms of diplomacy between Argentina and the UK over the Malvinas islands.

I added the (!? wft?!) bit btw.

Give the Malvinas back to Argentina.

why? The people who live in the Falklands have said they want to remain British. The British government has said all along that as long as the people who live there want to be British, then they will be.

"Sovereignty over the Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas in Spanish) is disputed between Argentina and the United Kingdom.

The British claim to de jure sovereignty dates from 1690, and the United Kingdom has exercised de facto sovereignty over the archipelago almost constantly since 1833. Argentina has long disputed this claim, having been in control of the islands for a brief period prior to 1833. The dispute escalated in 1982, when Argentina invaded the islands, precipitating the Falklands War.

Contemporary Falkland Islanders consider themselves to be British. They gained full British citizenship with the British Nationality (Falkland Islands) Act 1983, after the Falklands War. Argentina argues that the islanders do not have the right to self-determination, arguing that they are not aboriginal and were brought to replace the Argentine population that Argentina claims was expelled after the re-establishment of British rule in 1833.

"

source; wikipedia

exactly. So you reckon that Australia should be given back to Aboriginal control as well then, KD? AND the fact that Argentine people hold very strong Spanish ties..........so they should then in turn, hand back control of their country to the native peoples of Argentina

haha! you dont know who the native people of argentina were! They were the... hang on? i want to say aztecs but thats not it... the mayans?... who else were there... ah yeah! the incas! but werent they in peru? This is maddening! Who the hell lived in argentina?

haha! you dont know who the native people of argentina were! They were the... hang on? i want to say aztecs but thats not it... the mayans?... who else were there... ah yeah! the incas! but werent they in peru? This is maddening! Who the hell lived in argentina?

some type of indian, something like maputa i think. the spanish killed them all.

Why you bothering posting then?

:confused:

No reason, except to try to restore some sense of balance to the discussion. No sensible responses to the question, then?

Perhaps, wierd thought, the islands should be left to be self governing, without reliance on either Argentina or Britain.

JA....you (and Sean Penn) don't seem to be listening.....the people of the Falkland Islands want to be British.....there is no movement for self-governance or becoming Argentinian.......they are happy as are.

Why you bothering posting then?

:confused:

No reason, except to try to restore some sense of balance to the discussion. No sensible responses to the question, then?

Perhaps, wierd thought, the islands should be left to be self governing, without reliance on either Argentina or Britain.

So if the people of the Falklands were to say they are happy as they are, would that appease you?

I wonder if Sean Penn has realised that America's claim to it's outlying nations, and also California, are also archaic commitment to colonialist ideology?

Don't be ridiculous. the Kardashians, the Hiltons, the Sheens and the Pitts are all native indigenous Holywoodians. ;)

The 16th - 19th century was the greatest land grab in history. With less than 20% of the current global population around at that time, it's no wonder some places were deemed 'unihabited'.

What is the moratorium on border disputes and sovereignty. 20 years-50 years-200 years???

Apart frm Argentina and Gt Britain - really - who gives a flying F?

Probably no one except Sean Penn. I doubt that many in GB really could care less either with plenty enough problems to deal with on the homefront without worrying about a few thousand farmers and fisherman on some desolate group of islands about as far away from GB as you can get.

if argentina wants it, why not just pay the islanders off? Buy their little crofts for 10million dollars, settle some argentinians, artificially create a majority, push for a referendum, voila, 5 years later, job done. :)

"The world today is not going to tolerate any ludicrous and archaic commitment to colonialist ideology," he said during the meeting in Buenos Aires.

Yes quite right Sean.

O.K. Australia, New Zealand, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Canada, USA and the rest of you lot. Lets all move back to Europe.

Do you think they will find jobs for us all?

• 1 year later...

Hey the Pope dude is gonna 'intervene':

----

Argentine President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner says she has asked for the Pope's intervention in the Falklands dispute between her country and the UK.

Visiting the Vatican, Ms Fernandez said she had asked the Pope to promote dialogue between the two sides.

Argentine Pope Francis was elected last week and will be formally installed as pontiff at a Mass on Tuesday.

In the past he has said the Falkland Islands, a UK overseas territory, belong to Argentina.