Another user here who has seen kids letting off fireworks.

No real issue as long as everyone treats them with care, compared to the UK where fireworks are kept behind a counter and you have to be over 16? or is it 18? to buy them.

doesn't really work though......the week leading up to Guy Fawkes day was like going to school in Bagdad..........you'd be playing football in the playground, here the "weeee" and everyone would have to hit the deck to avoid the flying rockets, bangers been throwing in classrooms....not a good time for pets

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hate the nanny state mentality, but unfortunately the 10% can do a lot of damage to the remaining 90%

I agree. Whilst walking lost in Tokyo I had a very nice Japanese gentleman walk up and offer me some help. He saw me reading a map and clearly knew that I had no idea where I was lol so he helped me o

Pour some chlorine in the gene pool...?

In most of Aus they are completely illegal (regardless of age) and as you can see from some of the comments on here from those well indoctrinated into our amazing nanny state you'd almost be branded a child abuser for letting a kid near one! ;)

Another user here who has seen kids letting off fireworks.

No real issue as long as everyone treats them with care, compared to the UK where fireworks are kept behind a counter and you have to be over 16? or is it 18? to buy them.

doesn't really work though......the week leading up to Guy Fawkes day was like going to school in Bagdad..........you'd be playing football in the playground, here the "weeee" and everyone would have to hit the deck to avoid the flying rockets, bangers been throwing in classrooms....not a good time for pets

Good old safe Scotland eh?

mmmm

I was a defalt leader (cos me been 10) and the others were 8 and we used to light fireworks during the day.

We carried our own matches.

Ended up with a few blood blisters on our fingers. We made rocket launchers, rocket propelled miniture cars, shot them towards eachother on the ground, all in daylight.

Did any of the adults come to stop us? No. Thank god for growing up in Japan at that time.

haha.....reminds me of my mate, he was a bit of a pyro and always constructing some sort of fire and/or explosive. He used to take the black powder out of his dad's shotgun shells and make various explosions.....this one time he had emptied the cartridge and was walking along the street shaking it.....next thing a loud crack, one side of his face was all red, a very high pitched noise was heard by everyone and my other mate hit the deck shouting he'd been shot!! They had forgotten about the initial explosive charge that sets the big one off and what came out was the plunger that usually pushes all the ball bearings out of the cartridge....was really funny at the time (I wasn't in the firing line of course) :lol:

lol. I had a bit more brain .. Was very careful with them. It was a common accident amongst japanese kids to peel out powder from fireworks and collect them ... lots of idiots lost their eyes poking powder in a glass bottle .

Actually made a shotgun myself .. that was a bit too much since firearms are a big no no.

The most stupid thing that happened to me was, I was playing with myself tryingto improve on the technique of lighting up a chinese cracker (very short fuse) and throwing it .. one was so quick I really had to flick it away ... ended up on the road and a police car ran over it. He was pretty red faced .. thought it was intentional.

When it comes to Fireworks in Oz, I don't think its a Nanny State mentality, I believe its managing a very high risk when you could be combining alcohol, fireworks and a very dry bush, the possible outcome could be horrendous.

Here's a youtube of a market in Mexico where there are 300 stalls selling fireworks to the public

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgbe9Nx-fGU

When it comes to Fireworks in Oz, I don't think its a Nanny State mentality, I believe its managing a very high risk when you could be combining alcohol, fireworks and a very dry bush, the possible outcome could be horrendous.

Which is basically the definition of a nanny state. Where goverrnments impose laws to protect us from ourselves. And many Aussies like yourself believe it's a good thing because you've been so successfully indoctrinated into that way of thinking. Personally I hate it and believe it's gone way too far in Aus. No one seems to ever accept that sometimes shit happens and that's just life. No in Aus we always need someone to blame and crucify and attempt to sue the hell out of them when anything goes wrong. And we seem to have convinced ourselves that the only way to deal with anything is to create more and more draconian laws that restrict our personal freedom to choose for ourselves what we deem to be acceptable risk.

ahh, so any country in the world that has seat belts laws is a nanny state?

I am more than happy for the idiots out there to kill themselves off.

the problem is that the idiots tend to kill more than themselves and this is what the laws are for.

Heres another entrant for the Darwin awards, possibly the same person who let off the firecrackers round my kids decided to cook last night at 1am drunk and set off the fire alarm. Let's say that everyone else in the building was not impressed, having to wait 2 hours for the fire brigade to arrive to reset the alarm.