Desire the ability to enter the Weekly Giveaways on SnowJapan

he certainly didnt, but maybe he had a road to Damascus moment and thought "maybe i was being a bit self centered and a little bit rude. Ive possibly misjudged the site, i should make amends and start getting involved!"

Maybe he wont, but then again, he definitely wont if we all just take the piss out of him. Who knows, he might have some super secret awesome knowledge we can all benefit from... or maybe he has some hook ups too and wants to stoke us all out? oooh! oooh! maybe hell give me a new set of contacts!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The sad thing is Chris, that clearly these people do share the same interest, which is snow sports in Japan. Rather than attempt to become part of the community, they just want something for nothing.

Just ran my secret decoder ring over the above quote. Here is the translation:   "The only thing that outweighs my enormous sense of entitlement is my outrageously arrogant attitude."   Amazing

To those of you who have shown it, thanks for your support.   We have actually had a few people express a similar kind of opinions this season. While people are entitled to their opinions on this

What I like is that the forum regulars, those who will still be here with or without the giveaways, have entered this thread shown their dismay and surprise and then the whole thread has evolved as if we are all sitting down for a boozy Izakaya night, shooting the breeze, waxing philosophical and enjoying everyones company. LOVE IT!

Be better if I had my teleporting stargate though.

Then we could be doing it for real! ;)

• SnowJapan Admin

You know, here's one interesting thing to throw into the mix that perhaps some people won't believe, but it is true.

We don't do these Giveaways as a major part of some grand marketing plan to try and get more page hits or whatever - we simply don't.

We do them, and do as many of them as we do, because we think it's really brilliant to be able to get those tickets out there in the hands of people and get out to resorts.

The resorts are happy as they are getting exposure, goodwill and people going to visit; the people who win them are happy (all 300 or so of them this year); and hopefully people will come back here and share the info and pics or whatever, so yes we also hopefully get some of goodwill and more content on the Forums as a result... but that's just another cool thing about the idea.

We could very easily not do them at all. It would sure give us more time to do other things, including skiing/boarding.

We totally do not see them as an essential part of 'what we are' and what we are doing.

And we certainly do not need to go to the extent we do every year, quantity wise.

So it's probably best not to take them for granted! ;)

:friend:

• Like 1

You know, here's one interesting thing to throw into the mix that perhaps some people won't believe, but it is true.

We don't do these Giveaways as a major part of some grand marketing plan to try and get more page hits or whatever - we simply don't.

We do them, and do as many of them as we do, because we think it's really brilliant to be able to get those tickets out there in the hands of people and get out to resorts.

The resorts are happy as they are getting exposure, goodwill and people going to visit; the people who win them are happy (all 300 or so of them this year); and hopefully people will come back here and share the info and pics or whatever, so yes we also hopefully get some of goodwill and more content on the Forums as a result... but that's just another cool thing about the idea.

We could very easily not do them at all. It would sure give us more time to do other things, including skiing/boarding.

We totally do not see them as an essential part of 'what we are' and what we are doing.

And we certainly do not need to go to the extent we do every year, quantity wise.

So it's probably best not to take them for granted! ;)

:friend:

I think its pretty evident that we are all well happy with the current set up. I dont think anyone (well, aside possible notable exceptions who may or may not have started the thread) sees it as anything more than a complete cherry on the top of a site we would all be using anyway because we live and ride in japan and theres no better site out there for that specific interest (and arguably no better site that caters to such a specific interest so extensively).

As i like to drop in randomly into conversations, i help out at another site moderating their points system, and you see the same self entitled attitude when we have to explain why their god awful review was pulled and they got a spam flag against them (get ten and youre locked out of the reviews system - one of the fastest way to earn points and points = free stuff). Explaining to people that theres a REALLY LOW THRESHOLD and their review didnt even meet that whilst they remain indignant that it was good enough in THEIR opinion is mind boggling stuff. But you realise people are just trying it on a bit, and once they understand it doesnt wash, and that you're actually trying to keep a good thing going for everyone so *everyone* (including them) can keep getting free stuff, they quickly realise we aint flagging them for the hell of it.

People act a bit dickish on the internet when they dont understand how much work or cost is involved in stoking them out (i didnt even have to pay for the envelope and stamps to get my free tickets by the way), and sometimes they forget that its real people working their ass off to keep the stoke flowing. But once they do, they often calm down and start contributing and wanting to help pass on the stoke.

I really hope you guys dont listen to negative bullshit. I know its insufferable and sometimes infuriating when youre spending your free time helping folks out at no real benefit to yourself, but the internet brings out the worst in most people. Once you explain shit to them, and once they realise youre not some faceless entity, but an actual dude helping out, they tend to take things a little less for granted and start contributing. I am peace love and hippiness i know. But i dont think people are mean by nature, just cynical.

• SnowJapan Admin

Thanks. :friend:

My few colleagues and I certainly try not to let things get to us, but being human an' all - sometime you just can't help getting annoyed when people act unreasonably and agressively.

Like I said before though, after initial frustrations, these things often act to make us more determined in what we are doing which ends up being a positive thing for us.

Interesting comment you made there - yes, when you explain things some people come back to you and calm down etc. That's good, we can all lively happily.

There are some, though, who seemingly get so 'outraged' by the explanation or whatever, that they like to have that last explosive flourish where they really rip into you and bring out the classic put-downs (why are they never original!?!) and the over-the-top insults and full-on attack. Quite astonishing really how worked up some people can get... borderline scary.

Once someone really steps over that line, whoever they are, they get banned without question (if they are members of the Forums or just ignored if it's by email).

That is still very rare, but in cases like that it is often a relief to get rid of them!

:lol:

can we have a wall of shame or something? Not just single words, but full blown paragraphs of peoples outrage at being "made to post" to enter the giveaways.

• SnowJapan Admin

Ha yes. It's not just about Giveaways of course, I was commenting generally there.

But as much as I would really like to share with everyone some of the things that some people have seem fit to say at times, I don't think we want to go down that particular road!

I can see the appeal of a 'comeback', but we're not going to gain anything by getting down to that level so will refrain from that - things like that just aggravate a situation. So our way of dealing with situations like that is to bite the old lip and move on.

But hopefully there is an "algorithm" that prevents such people from actually winning.

;)

Summoning my mighty coding skills, I hereby release the following painstakingly-developed algorithm under the terms of GNU copyleft:

if (KnobEnd)
Lose();
else
Win();

• SnowJapan Admin

Discounted special codes now available! ;)

Must admit, I kind of like to be able to respond to things like this online from time to time.

Wouldn't have let it through in the first place otherwise.

:wave: