What you doing this weekend (4th+5th Feb).

Just saw evergreens warning at hakuba. I wish i could pretend i was adding to the conversation by offering wise and sage info. Instead ill just pass it on since i know tonight we're also due a puking (and it wont stop dropping (though more mellow) right through the weekend if the weather reports are good). I know its really the side/back country, but i reckon there's a few rope dodgers out there (who need a stern talking to! :naughty:)

Heavy Snow Warning: Otari ski fields have seen an accumulated 150cms over the past 72 hours.

Continued heavy snow fall is adding load to the recent storm snow that has started to slab and release from the buried sun crust of January 22nd on southern exposures. Loose slides are releasing on all aspects due to weak bonds with in the new snow. Take due caution travelling in avalanche terrain and in gullies where loose slides and sluff can accumulate to create deep burials. There are still a lot of creeks that have open holes that are definite hazards and terrain traps. Take care to avoid these areas or be on the look out for these holes.

Do not underestimate how rapidly the avalanche hazard will increase with continued rapid snowfall and increased winds.

Use your head and carry all the proper safety and rescue gear if you are heading into off piste areas. Stay to well supported and simple terrain to reduce hazard. Travel in Backcountry areas not recommended until conditions and recent storm snow settles.

ALPINE ZONE: HIGH HAZARD !! Stronger winds, colder temperatures and greater snow fall will all attribute to very unstable conditions. Watch out for avalanches from ALPINE ZONES travelling to the valley and into TREELINE and BELOW TREELINE ZONES.

TREELINE: CONSIDERABLE HAZARD !

BELOW TREELINE: CONSIDERABLE HAZARD !

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is worth being cautious right now.

Plenty of excellent snow on/by the runs.

And be thankful that is open. If it were Europe then the entire resort would be shut.

Are there nearby 'alternatives' or is it just tough luck, hit the bars please?

Well, when Zermatt was entirely closed the road and rail were also out of action due to a massive avalanche so there was no going anywhere and no options for skiing. So the bar, restaurant or bed was it.

But in Chamonix they opened Les Houches (at least in part), trouble was every man and his dog was there, insane queues to ride with out of control people on pistes very very in need of grooming. Well not everyone was out of control, but enough to make it pretty sketchy. So...off piste to the lovely powder then? Umm.. Fail... The resort is flatter than Niseko ;) There was a lot of walking out of powder back to crowded pistes. Didn't last long before the pub looked a better option.

I maintain that Japan really does have the edge over Europe in keeping things open when the freshies are falling in abundance.

But stay safe, avoid the high risk stuff until the avie conditions are safer.

its not just avvies though. Its the depth thats going to be an issue. The 150cms in 72 hours (plus what they have today and tomorrow) is going to mean similar (or even worse) conditions than we had a few weeks ago. Since i know from the weekend thread that a few people are going to yuzawa area this weekend, and since i know that the off piste in kagura is very very tempting, i figured the evergreen warning would be a nice little red flag :)

okay, but im still going to be massively concerned for many people who duck ropes this weekend. Hell, im going to be concerned for people even on piste (but thats because im a born worrier). Those numbers are pretty scary, though :)

Not it is not.

It generally is not on the resorts. It is the extreme example of Cortina.

And as millisent said, the vast maj. of people going to 'Hakuba' will see nowhere near like 150cm of new snow and will not be experiencing 'super dangerous conditions'.

Hakuba 47 has reported a total of 75cm since last Friday.

Goryu has reported a total of 50cm since last Friday.

So let's not get too carried away now, shall we.

Not it is not.

It generally is not on the resorts. It is the extreme example of Cortina.

And as millisent said, the vast maj. of people going to 'Hakuba' will see nowhere near like 150cm of new snow and will not be experiencing 'super dangerous conditions'.

Hakuba 47 has reported a total of 75cm since last Friday.

Goryu has reported a total of 50cm since last Friday.

So let's not get too carried away now, shall we.

Who's getting carried away? I will be at Cortina (if the lifts aren't still closed) and they have had 150cms (with a lot more to come). The original warning was for the Otari ski fields anyway, not Hakuba. Untwist your panties dude, no one was trying to misrepresent anything ;)

I don't understand the problem with reporting that avalanche risk is high in avalanche areas. If you don't ride offpiste, it doesn't apply to you, so just ignore it.

As for what ippy says, rather that just that amount of snow, a major factor is that its sitting on a thick icy crust from the high temps last weekend. It doesn't have to be 50cm to be a risk, never mind up to 150cm. It was a great day at Cortina yesterday, but at resort altitude, i.e. below tree line, the snow was a little heavyish, which only facilitates slab formation and cranks the risk up more. Cortina's steep areas have been closed two out of the past three days, basically because all they can do is keep people off and wait for it to settle.

fwiw, I bet some parts of Tsugaike will have had close to a meter and there are naughty zones there known to slide. Some of them funnel and go pretty big.

I don't understand the problem with reporting that avalanche risk is high in avalanche areas. If you don't ride offpiste, it doesn't apply to you, so just ignore it.

I was just about to say that. Will not be a problem for I would guess most people. Obviously need to be careful when there's tons of snow about, see accidents earlier in season.

Simply pointing out facts. That ok with you. mate?

I wouldn't be so sensitive, mate.

Oh, and don't be so negative and unfriendly!!! ;) etc

:confused: I was also pointing out facts... And my recommendation to be cautious stands. So does my recommendation to have fun! :sjcool:

Well either way its nice to be safe! These arent free play conditions and since niigata had two deaths the last dump im kinda edgy. I do admit though, ill see the numbers, look at whats coming and go OMG!!! SNOWPOCALYPS!!! and maybe i should be a little more careful in my melodrama :)

Either way, im off to wax my brand new and FREE 2012 ride Berzerker that came in teh mail yesterday and scrape my charlie slashers summer coat in preparation for this weekend. Dont envy me too much (:

Well either way its nice to be safe! These arent free play conditions and since niigata had two deaths the last dump im kinda edgy. I do admit though, ill see the numbers, look at whats coming and go OMG!!! SNOWPOCALYPS!!! and maybe i should be a little more careful in my melodrama :)

Either way, im off to wax my brand new and FREE 2012 ride Berzerker that came in teh mail yesterday and scrape my charlie slashers summer coat in preparation for this weekend. Dont envy me too much (:

Na we won't. Hows the money situation? ;)

Hopefully am up in yuzawa on Sunday.