Hmmm, varies really.

In public places, a lot of them, say McD or Starbucks, are tied down to specific phone networks, or ISPs.

Hotels tend to have WIFI, and the ones I have usually stayed in have had free WiFi.

A fair few hotels still only have wired LAN access in the rooms with a wireless area in the lobby.

You can use a laptop as a wireless router for a smartphone or Ipad if you've got one. Only takes a minute or two to set up.

With no laptop, a wireless hotspot thingy to make a wired LAN wireless will cost about 3000 yen.

On holidays, in Japow, not really an issue - We go to the lobby to clear the crap from the email account and that's about all. (Too busy sliding on that marvellous frozen water to be bothered with emails!)

At home, will not stay in a motel that doesn't advertise free WIFI, just so we can keep up with the world happenings (you cannot really trust the news on TV, can you!)

True, but I do like the feeling you get when you're coming out of a bad hangover (which for me, would be about mid-afternoon) and can just start thinking about food again without wanting to throw-up!!! :lol:

Back on topic, no, in my experience travelling around the country, free wi-fi is not readily available which I find quite amazing given the technology here. :thumbsdown:

Back off topic:

Because I am a diabetic I have to have something to eat before any serious drinking session and know when I am in trouble.

that being said I am going to push the envelope again tonight :p

Back on topic:

It is a common myth that there is free wi-fi all over Tokyo but when I got there it was very hard to get a connection (I am not fussed, I only take the ipad anyway)

I have a pocket wi-fi/3g modem. it is handy when I take my show on the road but it can be a pain in the arse when you are working at major events and everyone else is there with their phones.

(also an update on the hangover. yes I had a big one this morning because I think I went down with the ship last night) :)