The only ski boot that cracked on me (twice) was a SCOTT freestyle.

Unless your boot is sitting under the Aussie sun in summer and doing 100 days a season, I think your boot is OK. (UV radiation)

You will notice it if there is a problem. More like the buckles coming loose ...

How many days have you skied the boots?

Many manufacturers (who also want to sell you the latest model boot) will say 100-150 days. Most likely, I would say more than that, maybe up to 200 days, but depends on how you ski. If you are an aggressive racer type, then probably less. If you are doing backcountry/slackcountry, then less. That would be the last place you would want a boot failure.

Examine the buckles and more importantly, the soles. Some boots have replaceable lugs. This is important because when the soles wear down, they have less contact area to the ski binding and can result in premature release.

And if you are worried, then the peace of mind of new boots as well as the improving technology just might be worth the price.

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

To me, the litmus test for worn boots is the inability to properly lock your foot in. If you tighten your boots and you can still lift your heel, you need new boots. You can also cheat and put heel inserts. I currently have 3 heel inserts on each boot on my Burton Rulers (to be replaced next July when they go on sale).

I take it you only do grommed slopes. If so, it really doesn't matter as long as you are happy. if you were into the back country stuff, having old and loose boots would be _painfully_ obviows.

If you are worried about them, then I'd be replacing them. Maybe OK if you just ride groomers so if you do break one its just a matter of getting to the bottom, but if in the slack or back could be a BIG problem depending how they breat and how much duct tape you have :)