Am planning to whizz up to Gala for the day tomorrow but have just seen that 30 - 35km/h winds are forecast. I know there are no guarantees, but does anyone know at what point the lifts stop running due to high winds, as I don't want to waste my time and money getting there to find that I can't get to the top of the mountain!

Cheers guys! :friend:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pffft. I might go and hike naked, that's how gnarly I am.

Cheers Muika! :thumbsup:

So maybe I should ask if anyone knows at what point the lift and/or gondola operations are affected by high winds?

Tell me more MiJ, as I don't know anything about Maiko - and tell me quickly as I need to buy some tickets this afternoon!!! ;)

Cheers Muika! :thumbsup:

So maybe I should ask if anyone knows at what point the lift and/or gondola operations are affected by high winds?

Tell me more MiJ, as I don't know anything about Maiko - and tell me quickly as I need to buy some tickets this afternoon!!! ;)

Maiko is awesome. Much better than Gala Yuzawa. Needs a bus from the station but you get to pass the telephone box.

6.5kms run... Cheese fondue. Lovely soft snow up top. On a bluebird day, has stunning views.

I don´t know specifically,

But if I see a forecast 30-35 km, does that mean it´s going to gust stronger ? Which direction is it blowing and the slope is facing ..?

I´d probably give it a miss.

I don´t know specifically,

But if I see a forecast 30-35 km, does that mean it´s going to gust stronger ? Which direction is it blowing and the slope is facing ..?

I´d probably give it a miss.

Pffft. I might go and hike naked, that's how gnarly I am. :party:

• Like 1

Where would you put your pies then?

Maybe he could wedge one in the top of each boot but the smell might be a bit, dare I say, cheesy!

Looks like the whole area's getting the same wind/snow/visability tomorrow so no pretty, Muika-style photos me thinks. Cheesy shots, however, are another matter! ;)

Is Gala worth the drive from tokyo? Doesn't seem bad for a 2 hour drive, but I know its more for the shinkansen riders.

Sorry for the thread jack!

but I know its more for the shinkansen riders.

It is ultra convenient for getting off the shink, but it's for everyone not just train riders.

It's no less for other people than any other resort in Yuzawa.

I quite like a bit of Gala every now and again when it's not busy. I sure wouldn't go on a weekend though.

Having never done either, I think I need to do the whole, get-off-the-shinkansen-straight-onto-the gondola thing just once but then if's not running because of high winds I'm stuffed!! :doh:

I went to Gala once on a weekend when I first came here.

It was pretty wild. Way too overcrowded and as you know the slopes are pretty narrow there generally.

Wasn't the best of times.

Definitely one for a weekday.

Yeah I thought about heading there during a weekday to check it out, since it's only about a 2 hour drive. Just didn't know if it would be a waste, or there is something better just as close?

It's tough for me to make the early Shinkansen, living all the way near Fussa. I would like to try it though, seems cool...but I have a car so seems like a waste, lol. Love the idea though :)

Its a bit difficult to say going by the weather forecast - sometimes the forecast has low wind speeds but it turns out quite windy at the top and they close the lifts. If its saying 40+ kph (ie yellow symbols on the forecast on this site) at the top lift I'd say its borderline - if you know its a particularly exposed resort which closes important lifts easily, then it might be best to avoid that day - if its a more sheltered resort, then most likely it will be OK. If its saying anything between 50 and 70 kph (orange symbols) at the top lift, I probably wouldn't bother going out. If its green symbols (below 40kph) at the top lift, you will usually be OK. Just checking gala has 40kph at the top tomorrow morning - borderline - I dont know this resort very well, but if it was Kagura I'd most likely be looking at other options a bit lower - Kandatsu is a pretty safe bet when its windy so Id most likely go there.

Just a pity that Kandatsu choose to close their best course and lift on weekdays even when there's lots of snow, no wind and beautiful weather.

That annoys me, they not getting any more muikacash from me.