...And you get found be ready to crack your wallet. Nozawa Onsen will charge the three boarders that got lost the other day.

(See GG's post below for details.)

Haven't they been doing this all along though? Get lost...you pay?

Here it is without the click:

NAGANO —

A ski resort in Nagano Prefecture will ask three snowboarders who became lost and spent Monday night in the mountains near Nozawa Onsen ski resort, to pay for the cost of their rescue.

On Monday afternoon, the three snowboarders—a 44-year-old man, his 35-year-old wife and a 38-year-old female acquaintance—ignored signs asking snowboarders to stay on designated courses and became lost, NHK reported. The three were unhurt when they were found on Tuesday morning about one kilometer from the resort.

A ski resort official said the trio went under a rope and made their way into an off-limits area. He said the resort has put up many signs warning snowboaders and skiers about the danger of going off designated courses, NHK reported.

Since 2010, the village has enforced an ordinance under which any skier or snowboarder who ignores warning signs and gets lost has to pay for the costs of their rescue.

No, no....I just assumed this is the way it always was.... Like a coast guard rescue if you were doing something stupid. The news report makes it sound like this a new thing.

I'm pretty sure it is.

Why should the resort pay if someone does that?

If someone dies etc, I think it gets more complicated certainly in terms of reputation/face whatever, but stuff like the above I can't see why anyone should expect a resort to cough up.

I caught a bit of it on the news last night while having a bite to eat at a SA on the Tomei. They dug a snow cave and seemed pretty well prepared for a night in the woods.

Yeah, they were lucky!

The charging policy seems fair enough to me and I noticed that the same policy was clearly stated in both Japanese and English on the Hakuba piste maps that I used last week.

3 people in a snow cave or Igloo would be warmer than on your own. Better chance of survival.

Sure, if you get lost and needed rescue, user pay.

Might be a good idea to prepare for over night and leave a note ... ;)

Sounds pretty cosy to me Wife and a female acquaintance in snow cave ;)

If the resort spent the money looking for them all night then yes they should pay.

Seemore

its always been clearly marked that if you go outwith the ropes and require rescue, then you will have to pay full whack for it. Were they Japanese or Gaij? Who raised the alarm and sparked the search?

Does anyone know who or what triggered the search? It'd be mighty annoying to be away out the back of beyond snow camping, riding and having a whale of a time to run into the Search & Rescue and be given a huge bill because someone saw your car in the carpark overnight and assumed you were lost!! :lol:

I could imagine something like this running up to the hundreds of thousands of yen. I wonder if its possible to get some sort of liability insurance to cover for this kind of thing in addition to back-country medical cover?

Does anyone know who or what triggered the search? It'd be mighty annoying to be away out the back of beyond snow camping, riding and having a whale of a time to run into the Search & Rescue and be given a huge bill because someone saw your car in the carpark overnight and assumed you were lost!! :lol:

That's what I was thinking when I saw the news story. They looked prepared. I said to my wife..MAYBE, they weren't lost.....Rescue?....we don't need a rescue. Take your bill and stick it!

I could imagine something like this running up to the hundreds of thousands of yen. I wonder if its possible to get some sort of liability insurance to cover for this kind of thing in addition to back-country medical cover?

I thought that rescue was covered in BC-Insurance policies

They were discussing the issue of who should pay?

Interviewed Nozzle manager. How they have clear signs.

And Nagano-ken prefecture office about climbers. Something about the amount of cash the pref. has to save people who get in trouble being cut. And the pref. bods saying that it is unfair for Nagano to cover lost people search when 80% of the people are from outside Nagano.

Sorry didn't quite catch it all properly.

Saw that. They also discussed rescue insurance, the payout for which is capped at 200 man-yen, even though the cost of rescue could exceed that amount, especially if a helicopter is involved. The payout is capped that low because not that many people sign up for the insurance.

In my travels over the last few years Im sure I have been a resort gate that detailed the costs of a rescue depending on the number of people involved and the equipment required. i have another PC now so dont have the pic but it was pretty clear what would happen.

They were discussing the issue of who should pay?

Interviewed Nozzle manager. How they have clear signs.

And Nagano-ken prefecture office about climbers. Something about the amount of cash the pref. has to save people who get in trouble being cut. And the pref. bods saying that it is unfair for Nagano to cover lost people search when 80% of the people are from outside Nagano.

Sorry didn't quite catch it all properly.

I didn't see it but you get plenty of (my word would be idiots) taking on the weather, mostly outside winter. The weather forecasts in Japan are pretty good these days, so there's no excuse.

The main reason I think people hike up mountains in typhoons is that they want to tick the names off a list. Its like taking an eight hour cold shower on a stairmaster.