For this year's Hokkaido trip I'm thinking about making a loop through Tomamu, Furano, Asahidake, Kamui, and Niseko. I may skip Asahidake (did that last year, great pow but short runs/flat endings). If I have time I'll visit Rusutsu near Niseko. I'm mostly looking for powder runs, have very little love for groomed slopes.

Around those areas, is there a resort I should pay a visit? Are there any I really would want to spend an extra day?

Tomamu is only flat on the greens. There are black runs from yourr hotel room. There is lots to do at Tomamu. Don't give that a miss.

Furano is the beast. It has everything. If I was you, and I'm not, I'd base myself in Furano and do all the other places around central Hoks. The south is too far for day trips though.

So, I just joined this forum, as I've finally booked my flights to Japan for the last two weeks of February, and plan on spending 4-5 days skiing on Hokkaido and another 2 or more on Honshu (depending on how angry my wife gets with me for not spending more time with her family for the two weeks we're there :p).

I'm bringing over my alpine-touring setup since it's better than my alpine setup in powder, but was also wondering if there are any SJ'ers in the Hokkaido area that are up for taking a foreigner on a back-country / slack-country ski tour?

I live in Vancouver, Canada, and am something of a weekend warrior. I usually get out on the North Shore for a couple of slack-country laps twice a week before work and either ski Whistler or do an extensive tour on the weekends. I would rate my avalanche risk assessment style as "cautious" - although I love shredding, I also love not dying, shredding something less gnarly, and skiing again tomorrow.

If there's no touring partners to be had, I'll just take the advice in this thread and try and hit these hills solo.

Thanks for any help or advice!

Ok, so far I'm running with this:

Day 0 - Overnight ferry from Hachinohe to Tomakomai

Day 1 - Tomamu

Day 2 - Furano

Day 3 - Either Furano again, if it is as awesome as they say, or Asahidake

Day 4 - Kamui, then a long ass drive to Niseko (3 1/2 hours)

Day 5 - Niseko

Day 6 - Niseko

Day 7 - Rusutsu, then ferry to Hachinohe

Day 8 - Drive to Hakkoda. I would not be going home if I didn't do Hakkoda :D

So, I'll bring all my gear but so far it looks like I'll be mostly doing slack country. Can anybody suggest an outfit or guide to do some real back country on any of those places, specially Niseko or Furano?

LTD1982, unless the start date changes I'll be in Tomamu February the 18th and you can pretty much figure out where next. If align with your timeline we can meet up there.

Or better yet, come to Hakkoda Feb. 25th. If there's a place worth pissing the wife off for that would be it :D

If there's no touring partners to be had, I'll just take the advice in this thread and try and hit these hills solo.

The BC in Japan can be very dangerous, something I learn about every year. Id recommend a pro guide if you are a 1st timer here, even if you have been here multiple times. NEVER GO ALONE! Complete an Avi course before you come and take all the proper equipment. Not trying to over dramatise the situation. Just a heads up. Its the real deal here.

There are a few guiding compaines. I meet some of the Black Diamond guys this year and they instilled confidence. They do regular tours through Hokkaido, which I'll certainly do next year.

The BC in Japan can be very dangerous, something I learn about every year. Id recommend a pro guide if you are a 1st timer here, even if you have been here multiple times. NEVER GO ALONE! Complete an Avi course before you come and take all the proper equipment. Not trying to over dramatise the situation. Just a heads up. Its the real deal here.

There are a few guiding compaines. I meet some of the Black Diamond guys this year and they instilled confidence. They do regular tours through Hokkaido, which I'll certainly do next year.

Thanks for the response, Pete! I'll see if I can hook up with the Black Diamond guys. What I meant by hitting the hills solo was hitting the resorts. I'd never tour alone, even over here where I know the terrain pretty well - and definitely never half way across the world.

I've taken the Level 1 avy course a couple of times, most recently last year. I find it's like watching a (good) movie more than once; there's always something you see/learn the next time through that you missed the first time.

Sounds like you have it together mate. The above advice was largely driven by my own mistakes :) Have a GREAT trip. Another good thing those guys do is a day tour of the Niseko mountain. Might be a great intro if its dumping and the gates are going to open and you are by yourself.

• Like 1

Ok, so I'm researching some back country fun and I'm looking at Tokachidake onsen, which sits at the end of road 191, west from the peak of tokachidake, north from the peak of furanodake. On the topo maps it looks like you walk out of the ryokan and simply start marching up hill. Has anybody been on this area? Does anybody knows guides that hit this neck of the woods?

I have the topo maps and I'm cocky as hell, but I certainly rather pay a guide than waste my one day there digging myself out of a ravine.

Yama.... I just got back from a great trip to Hokkaido skiing mostly Kamui and my (yes, it's mine) little hidden gem Mashike out on the coast. We had perfect thigh high powder at Kamui and there is a lot of off-piste terrain for such a small resort. It really depends on the weather because generally Asahikawa is cold but doesn't get huge amounts of snow. If it's getting snow though....it's REALLY good. Looks like a fun if not ambitious trip you have planned......should be a blast.

Sounds like you have it together mate. The above advice was largely driven by my own mistakes :) Have a GREAT trip. Another good thing those guys do is a day tour of the Niseko mountain. Might be a great intro if its dumping and the gates are going to open and you are by yourself.

Thanks, I've been really enjoying the cheese-y updates from your trip :lol: Looking forward to a lot more of them!

I've emailed the BD guys, so hopefully they and I can sort something out together for my time there :friend:

So, I just joined this forum, as I've finally booked my flights to Japan for the last two weeks of February, and plan on spending 4-5 days skiing on Hokkaido and another 2 or more on Honshu (depending on how angry my wife gets with me for not spending more time with her family for the two weeks we're there :p).

I'm bringing over my alpine-touring setup since it's better than my alpine setup in powder, but was also wondering if there are any SJ'ers in the Hokkaido area that are up for taking a foreigner on a back-country / slack-country ski tour?

I live in Vancouver, Canada, and am something of a weekend warrior. I usually get out on the North Shore for a couple of slack-country laps twice a week before work and either ski Whistler or do an extensive tour on the weekends. I would rate my avalanche risk assessment style as "cautious" - although I love shredding, I also love not dying, shredding something less gnarly, and skiing again tomorrow.

Ltd....Maybe think of starting this in a new thread then fellow west coasters like myself can welcome you properly instead of tip toeing in and out of Yamabushi's posts. ;) :thumbsup:

Mashike and Racey look to be a bit off my path. That's a shame, I really like the small off-the-beaten-path spots. As it is I'll be doing a lot of finishing by 4pm so I can drive several hours to crash at the next spot for an early start the next day.

I haven't done Niseko so I have to throw it in, if nothing else for the been-there-done-that. I also lets me alternate back country with resort/slack country for some much needed easy days.

Right now I think I'll skip Asahidake altogether unless the chance for a blue-bird day is high and I get to climb to the top. I probably have enough energy for two summits on this trip so I'm trying to pick those carefully.

Yama.... I just got back from a great trip to Hokkaido skiing mostly Kamui and my (yes, it's mine) little hidden gem Mashike out on the coast. We had perfect thigh high powder at Kamui and there is a lot of off-piste terrain for such a small resort. It really depends on the weather because generally Asahikawa is cold but doesn't get huge amounts of snow. If it's getting snow though....it's REALLY good. Looks like a fun if not ambitious trip you have planned......should be a blast.

Mashike route up to Shokanbetsu-dake is a great hike/tour. The west coast around Rumoi gets so much snow! I skied up at Shokanbetsu in July last year! And they have a lovely sake brewery (distillery/winery!?) at Mashike.

Ok, I'm looking at Black Diamond tours and they have a Niseko off piste and a Niseko back bowl tours. If anybody here has done them, could you chime in with your opinion?

I have seen this done.

A group ready to leave through a gate, someone comes up and says can I join you. The times I've witnessed, the answer has always been yes.

You could do the same and not pay the 16K for guiding through the gates.

Or just pay up, support the Japanese economy in a period of stress and enjoy the company of good people who will be there to assist you if sonething goes wrong. You may have to "earn your turns" but sometimes you have to pay for them too. :)