If it is for a week , self-catering and the place must have a bathtub.

Not into 4 star hotels.

Have done "half-pensions" meaning breakfast and dinner included and we get disappointed with dinner. We cook better than most restaurants. So, if it´s for a few days, we just do the breakfast option.

Dinner time is when we wish we were in Japan.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

webcam at Tignes

http://www.tignes.ne...ebcams-290.html

Posted on a UK Snowboard forum

What a change in 48 hours! The long awaited snowfalls in the Alps began at the weekend and have gathered pace with the biggest yet reported over the past 24 hours (to 8 Dec) with some of the biggest accumulations including 60cm in 24 hours at Meribel and 70cm in 24 hours at both Les Arcs and St Anton.

In Northern Europe, some resorts in Scandinavia have in fact had more snow than either the best in the Alps or North America in the past week and at least two of Scotland’s ski areas plan to open at the weekend.

• Huge snowfalls of up to 70cm in 24 hours across the Alps.
  • Biggest snowfalls of past seven days in Norway – 1.4m at Strandefjellet.
  • Up to a metre (3.3 feet) of new snow at Swiss resorts in past seven days.
  • Most of Dolomiti Superski’s sectors opening in next 24 hours.
  • Glencoe and The Lecht expect to open to start Scotland’s ski season this weekend.

Yes they had a few days of snow but it was desperate before then

Skiers and staff in resorts alike breathed a collective sigh of relief as winter finally arrived in the mountains, one month behind schedule. Tour operators, who have been battling for business against the twin beasts of economic gloom and lack of snow, could barely conceal their joy as telephones started to ring again.

Next weekend marks the start of one of the busiest weeks of the season. Awkward dates over Christmas and New Year coupled with some bargain offers mean that the week beginning December 17-18 is almost sold out.

The prospect of skiers arriving in resorts and finding bare brown pistes with – at best – a narrow, icy strip of artificial snow has receded.

But a word of caution: my advice to anyone planning on booking a last-minute trip in December is to aim for one of the higher resorts. One storm does not a winter make, and in the majority of resorts this one did not entirely live up to expectations.

Hochzillertal is where I leart how to snowboard from my Missus. I have fond and painful memories - not exactly a place for beginners.

But the place starts early, so it is one of the places we go. Hochzillertal and Hochfugen is connected and gives us a lot of places to go. Off piste is easy access and more like ungloomed sidecountry. Still, it´s a big mountain.

Off to hockfugen in jan , and hoping for a chance to try out the ungroomed stuff in preperatation for Japan in feb, any pointers where to find the best spots there ???

Thinking about a Europe trip this season. Where would you recommend, Jynxx?

Di Griz,

I thought i recognised this. It was covered last year also

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/index.php/topic/19003-swissaustria-advice/page__p__365708__hl__engelberg__fromsearch__1?do=findComment&comment=365708

Yes, thanks for that! Every year I think about going to Europe to ski, and then somehow Hokkaido, Nagano & the Rockies always get in the way. This year, it's the ability (need!) to use up airline miles that's probably going to mean the Rockies again instead of Europe. Too many mountains, too few seasons left, but if I can keep going to 100... :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Howdi, ひさしぶり !

I kinda fell into a rut ...

But...

It started snowing locally this week and I have been waiting, waiting ... for some base accumulation and fresh cover.

Today was the day. Went to Sudelfeld. http://www.snowjapanforums.com/index.php/topic/18561-tr-upper-bavaria-germany/

Snowed all day. Grey and visibility so so, Boot top to knee deep, Not Hokkaido fluffy but it got better.

Fresh tracks all day. Didn´t see anyone where we went. (Maybe 20 cars in the parking lot.)

I know the place better now but still clipped rocks underneath and flipped a couple of times. Loved it. It was like waking up. :D

Not much base. Maybe 20cm with 40 on top.

If you are heading towards Austria. I reckon no probs. Go for it.

As for our local Sudelfeld and Spitingsee, Brauneck, etc ... Weekdays not much lift action happening. Very limited.

This weekend will see temperature warming (not good) and likely no snow until after X´mas.

If I am not so buggered ( all day T-bar ). I would go again tomorrow.

Hochzillertal is where I leart how to snowboard from my Missus. I have fond and painful memories - not exactly a place for beginners.

But the place starts early, so it is one of the places we go. Hochzillertal and Hochfugen is connected and gives us a lot of places to go. Off piste is easy access and more like ungloomed sidecountry. Still, it´s a big mountain.

Off to hockfugen in jan , and hoping for a chance to try out the ungroomed stuff in preperatation for Japan in feb, any pointers where to find the best spots there ???

The run that goes from Hochzillartal side to Hochfugen. (When there is plenty). Top of Hochfugen is good.

I reckon there will be more snow in Jan.

Coudn´t get out there today :sadface:

Bad news is that the day already got warmer. I´m at 600m and it was 6 degrees C.

(Probably at 2000m it´s 0 degrees. ) Not a good sign for avi conditions in the future.

Scblurlt, Hochzillartal still needs an additional 50cm to really get going. The freeride run is still not ready yet. It´s just too warm this year !

• 2 weeks later...

We are in the holiday season now so the highway got a bit jammed.

Today it´s bloody warm again :sadface:

Last weekend was warm and it rained on the lower mountains, the potential for full depth slide became great and we had avi level 4 alert.

Today is level 3. It will snow again this week, so where it had not slided might get covered up and more dangerous.

This is not a very good year. This snow,wind, warm, rain, snow... cycle is bad.

I´ve only once had to clear the driveway from snow this year.