my nephew just got baptised last month, I made it clear to my brother and Sister in law that they should ask my other brother to be Godfather and not me. I don't believe in indoctrinating babies into cults

I have God Parents, it was the 'done thing' to Christen/Baptize a child and give them God Parents who will step up if anything happened to the parents.

However we chose not to baptize or christen our own children - as that is their choice to make - hence no God Parents. But I am God Mother to two girls from different families. Both of whom I still keep in touch with and would step up and help if need be.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
The only time the word god is spoken in my house is either as an expression of frustration "For god's sake woman!" or on very rare occasions in the bedroom "oh god, oh god!!".

You're scared of spiders in your bed as well

I have god parents and I am a god parent myself. My kids have godparents.

I'm not really religious but I have 'holy'days at Easter and Christmas and I'm pretty sure I'll have a church service when I die.

I think you can read too much into it. To us it doesn't hold much religious significance, just a gesture that you are someone special in a child's life.

Who cares what they think. They don't own the rights on religion or the interpretation of it. I'll pick and choose bits and pieces of any religion that suits my beliefs. I see that as a better way to live than total indoctrination of just one brand of religion.

Originally Posted By: pie-eater
And later in life

There's often a "shock" element of seeing someone 20+ years on isn't there.

Funny how some people hardly change.
Some seemingly morph into a wholly different looking person.

I was baptised, I guess I had god-parents, but I never knew who they were.

My kids were named at birth (I registered their birth and told the registrar what their name was - for each of them) but zero religious ceremony. If they choose to go that way as adults, that is their choice, and I will applaud their decision IF it is made with conviction and based on the facts.

I do know that my youngest was married in a civil ceremony (ie not religious) so I doubt they have any religious leanings.

Totally up to them!

The theory was, as Mamabear said, that the GPs would step in if something happened to the parents while the child was small, and still dependent. That would have been a good idea when the death rate was extremely high in young adulthood (ie the parents were more likely to kark it than not, before the kid was able to earn a living/live independently.)

With the trend towards older parents now, it might be a good thing still - imagine being a parent of a 20 year old when you have reached 60 or so (that's what would happen if you had a child at 40!)

I agree with you JA but a "child" at 20 should be able to stand on their own 2 feet by that time!!

I was also indoctrinated into the Catholic cult when I was a baby, but there's no way I'm forcing my kids through that crap. If they decide to join a church later in life then thats their choice....the way it should be

Originally Posted By: JA
If they choose to go that way as adults, that is their choice, and I will applaud their decision IF it is made with conviction and based on the facts.

Religion and facts JA??? An oxymoron if I ever heard one! lol
Originally Posted By: TubbyBeaverinho
I agree with you JA but a "child" at 20 should be able to stand on their own 2 feet by that time!!
Nice theory, that! Doesn't always work.