Staff ordered to get the same haircut

Breaking news on one of the UK 'news' sites:

A Japanese company has ordered all 2,700 of its employees to get identical hairstyles - to help save energy.

Tokyo-based Maeda Corporation announced the move as part of a national campaign to reduce energy consumption in the wake of the Fukushima nuclear disaster in March.

Men are expected to sport a short back-and-sides, slightly longer on the top, while women have been asked to wear a 'cute' bob with a fringe that can be swept to one side.

Chizuru Inoue, a spokesman for Maeda Corp, told the Daily Telegraph: 'Our company is very keen on protecting the environment and we encourage our staff to adopt many environment-friendly actions,

'We are not sure of the data yet, but we believe if people have short hair they do not need to use their hair driers for so long and they will use less water.

'If all our staff do this, then it may save a lot of power.'

article-2030793-0D9858E100000578-452_224article-2030793-0D97EAA700000578-576_224

Energy savers: Male Maeda Corp employees must wear their hair in a short back and sides, while female staff have been instructed to have theirs in a 'cute' bob

And here's the feedback from it's public. Almost always as, if not more, scary than the original 'articles'.

Quote:
Or how about just asking them to wash their every other day instead of daily. Wouldn't that have the effect of halving water and power consumption?

- Lisa, Osaka, Japan, 28/8/2011 11:43

well it just adds to the mandatory face-mask they all wear everyday! Mad, all of them, totally barking mad!

- David, Barcelona, Spain, 28/8/2011 11:31

Japan is a lawn.

Land of the very strange. no one, will tell me how to wear my hair. it's just wrong, how about one uniform one can wash in the shower (while you are taking one) and hang on a hanger, and it would be dry by morning. every one would be clean and look more the same. of course i'm being sarcastic, gee. going just a little to far.

- not a liberal, here, 28/8/2011 11:01

Not sure why this article has been ridiculed so strongly. Japan is facing crippling power shortages and all Japanese are doing their best to reduce energy consumption whether at home or at work. Western Japan has a different electricity supply from Eastern Japan, so power generated in, say, Osaka, cannot be diverted to, say Tokyo. My Japanese in-laws in Tokyo, a darkened city, like most Japanese are living in one room in their apartment to save on electric lighting and no one has used the air conditioning this summer. Suggestions such as this from within companies are almost sure to have come from staff brainstorming sessions. Although the economic crisis has had an effect on traditional modes of Japanese employment, Japanese companies do still tend to provide a job for life. In return for your adopting a dress code and following the company line, the company supports you and your family for life. Having worked in Japan for many years I can only speak from my own experience.

- Peter, Cambridge, 28/8/2011 9:26

What a load of tosh.... however I'm sure we can do better...... let's see.... ban coffee, outlaw hot showers, make the use of candles mandatory instead of electric lighting...... Ooh, even better, bring this nut case over to Britain and allow him to run riot here, there must be thousands of jumped up jobsworths here who would just LOVE to enforce such "laws".....

- Steve, Dortmund, Germany, 28/8/2011 3:53

These bosses have obviously never had a 'cute bob' - they take twice as long as long hair to style, as to keep them 'cute' you need to straighten them daily!

- Cara, Herts, 28/8/2011 3:51

We could learn so much from the Japanese!!

- Lauren, Devon, 28/8/2011 3:48

Resistance is futile.

- Jim, Manchester, 28/8/2011 3:40

Wouldn't go down too well in Britain but they are doing it with good intentions! Well done! Helps that Japanese people tend to have straight hair as well!

- Kate, Spain, 28/8/2011 3:32

That company has a damn cheek! They don't OWN their employees!

- Annie G., Eastbourne, England, 28/8/2011 3:16

To dictate what style people have their hair really is an infringement of human rights. I have shoulder length hair but I never use a hairdryer, just let it dry naturally. At least if they tried it over here the company would be bankrupt within the month with unfair dismissal claims..

WTF Japan? Get over your fear of nuclear already. Considering the scale of the disaster and the fact that not much radiation escaped itÂ’s only irrational hysteria thatÂ’s preventing the start up of the other reactors

- z.phillips, wolverhampton, uk, 28/8/2011 3:09

Click to rate Rating 8Report abuse

Surely a number one all over would have been much better! What ever next?

- Mia, Midlands, 28/8/2011 2:46

Quote:
Or how about just asking them to wash their every other day instead of daily. Wouldn't that have the effect of halving water and power consumption?
- Lisa, Osaka, Japan, 28/8/2011 11:43

Lisa, Japanese people tend to like to be clean and not smelly and sweaty like you.

wink
Originally Posted By: pie-eater
Not sure why this article has been ridiculed so strongly. Japan is facing crippling power shortages and all Japanese are doing their best to reduce energy consumption whether at home or at work. Western Japan has a different electricity supply from Eastern Japan, so power generated in, say, Osaka, cannot be diverted to, say Tokyo. My Japanese in-laws in Tokyo, a darkened city, like most Japanese are living in one room in their apartment to save on electric lighting and no one has used the air conditioning this summer. Suggestions such as this from within companies are almost sure to have come from staff brainstorming sessions. Although the economic crisis has had an effect on traditional modes of Japanese employment, Japanese companies do still tend to provide a job for life. In return for your adopting a dress code and following the company line, the company supports you and your family for life. Having worked in Japan for many years I can only speak from my own experience.
- Peter, Cambridge, 28/8/2011 9:26

wow I didn't realise....must be because I'm not Japanese that I have dared to venture out of my bedroom AND use my air-con