Hi, a bit of a trip down memory lane but interested to know if the AET/ALT (the official govt one) has changed much over the years. Is the salary still 300,000 yen wherever you are positioned? And do people get a plane ticket back every year home or not?

Did AETs ever get tickets home?

Interested to know if the salary structure has changed. Always seemed unfair that people out in the sticks got the same as those in big cities.

you mean the JET program? Dunno much about that but I think its becoming rarer and rarer as dispatch agencies take over. Salaries are generally starting at 250k and no flight home

The flight used to be officially getting you to Japan and shipping you back when you finished. But I know a fair few AETs whose town funded a trip home in summer when they renewed.

I never heard about that in my 3 years as a Nagano AET. They must have been kick ass AETs. Doesnt the BOE pay for everything AET-related anyway? Cant imagine why the town would suddenly stump up 10man for this.

There was definitely a lot of luck in the JET AET programme.

One person I knew got flights every summer, his apartment was paid for in full and the funded other stuff too... basically his salary was all spending money the jammy git!

Some cities still do this, I know sagamihara often advertises for people ,but that is more of a direct hire by the BoE.

As tubby said, the majority of schools go through agencies now to save on costs.

Originally Posted By: bobby12
Cost to school is probably the same, after paying interacs fee.

Doesn't work like that.

The contracts go to those companies which can offer the most of amount of teachers, at the lowest cost per teacher.

yeah, but they don't have to deal with Gaij direct. That means, from their point of view, there won't be any embarrassing situations of having to deal with non-japanese speaking people. They won't have to worry about cultural clash issues either as there will be a middle man buffer. I haven't found out what company's such as Interac charge per AET (I had heard it was as high as 400k, but that is unconfirmed), but with more agency's getting in on the act, it can drive costs down as they try and outbid each other (there was a programme on NHK the other week about this) and of course that means the ALT is gonna get even less of a wage. As belts get tightened by local authorities I'll bet that ALT's will be one of the first things to go, probably to part-time work, to cut costs

I imagine it is like this:

Interac get 3.4M/year for the AET (same as JET salary)

Interac wins because they pay the AET about 2.5M/year or so, keep the rest as their profit.

School wins because, for the same price, they have more power to sack the AET or get Interac to shape them up. Also, no longer have to pay for flights, rent subsidy.

AET loses due to less salary and loss of 'gravy train' work condition where they get paid to surf the net all day.

The thing I dont work out is how the BOE figures in, as I thought they handled all the costs not the schools.

the "gravy train" still rolls on in JHS. In my experience as an Elementary School ALT in Yokohama, we work a lot more than the JHS ALT's. I would have 23-24 classes per week, but my friends who work for Interac, also in Yokohama but are JHS have more like 15-16 classes per week, sometimes less. What do they do with the extra time? Surf the net. I now work in a private JHS-SHS and my schedule has dropped 10 classes, I now have 14 scheduled classes each week. I get full pay for all school hols but I have to work to 4.30pm (an extra 2 hrs than when I was working for Interac). 2 hrs extra is nothing, especially since it means I get full pay every month and its a little more than my Interac salary was, even with the "bonus" that came with being a Head Teacher.

I remember one guy I knew on JET. In his last year he averaged about 2 lessons A WEEK!

lol

Then another guy was doing like 4 or 5 a day.

Funny, they were both kind of jealous of the other.

yeah it seems to get like that, if you don't have a lot of classes a week, you start to wish for more, when your schedule is busy you start to wish for less.......just never happy! lol