Just spent 5 hours clearing up my desktop

Yep I do work at Microsoft.

I'm not surprised that more icons (dirs, files and shortcuts) would cause it to slow down. What I am surprised by is that having a large file on the desktop causes it to slow down.

For instance, having 50 small jpegs (< 1KB) compared to having 50 large ones (>= 100MB).

The only reason I could see this being different are for file types whose icons reflect their contents. For instance thumbnails for photos.

I haven't tried it myself, but I'm not disputing that it works or doesn't. A quick search on the net finds many people with similar a similar experience so it seems to be commonly reported. Although I would be surprised if the files were loaded in their entirety. Then again software has done crazier things.

Anyways, if it's true that's a terrible user experience. People shouldn't have to worry too much about that.

Oh wells =(

Originally Posted By: bobby12
On which version of windows?
Sorry, missed that question ... I was referring to Win XP, but I believe the effect is the same in later versions (not confirmed by experimentation on my Win 7 box because I never do keep files on the desktop).