Moving... and getting back money

When anyone on here has moved house/apartment in Japan, have you received any money back that you have paid up front when you started out? I can't remember what the Japanese was for that money, but when I moved in I paid a chunk and was told that when I moved out I would get back what was left over after the apartment was cleaned and anything that needed fixing was fixed.

My Japanese friend has told me though to basically not expect to get any back. Inferring that basically you should write it off because whether it gets spent on fixing things up or not, it will vanish and never be seen again.

Any experiences?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only friends experiences. One person paid about 200,000Â¥ when they moved in, lived there for 6 years and got 40,000Â¥ back. The owner of the house was a really sweet old lady so I think that made a difference. Another friend paid about 240,000Â¥, lived there for 3 years and was told nothing would come back. He checked the bill and there was unitemized charges, went to a lawyer friend of his and was told it was the normal scam to expect. He then went back to the renter a raised hell during several meeting... ended up getting 50,000Â¥ back. Most people have told me not to expect anything back...

I paid two months deposit on my last place, and lost about 45,000yen in cleaning charges. Like BM, they tried to scam me, but luckily I had taken photos of the apartment when I left, and asked them directly where the damage had been. Think in the end it came down to about 25,000yen as they were going to dispose of the tatami.

There has been a law recently past that gave more power to the renters in regards to deposits, shall do a search for it in a bit.

Depends on the agent, but years ago when we moved out of our house that we were renting in Tokyo, we got back all our key money, no questions asked!

I guess it depends on our slimey the estate agents are as to whether or not you get any or all of it back.

I got my months deposit back, 60k......but that was down to my company talking to them. When I asked the guy who came to inspect the house he said I'd get nothing back as the cleaning fee was, coincedentally exactly 60k. Thankfully when I told the office staff she said that that was nonsense and she phoned and got me my money back, which was nice

Ive just moved out of my apartment and have the final inspection with the apartments owner this week and I hope to get back at least half of my two months deposit back.

I expect some charges for waxing the wooden flooring but otherwise the apartment is in the same condition now as when we moved in and Ive spent a couple days cleaning so it will be interesting to see what else they want to charge for.

I have seen a tenancy disputes company advertising in magazines that you can use if you dont have any luck getting your deposit back and their fee is 30% of whatever they get back for you. Do a search for japandeposit and should find their website(in english).

A friend who works in the apartment industry said if you ask to see receipts for the cleaning/repairs once the work is done and be firm when dealing with the Landlord and you should have a chance to get a fair amount back.

30% to some leeches?

No thanks.

Take photos, be forceful and don't let them get away with telling you that the cost of cleaning up is exactly the same amount as the money they have.

Ive moved twice in the last 5 years and both times I got 100% of the shikikin (deposit) back. We are careful with how we use the house though, despite having small kids we leave it basically as we found it. If you wreck the tatami etc then you have to expect to lose most of your shikikin.

However my contract goes through my company, so it could be that they are fighting stuff like this for me without me realising.

Lots of people probably aren't pushy on the issue and so they ride along with that. Just be clear that you want to know the details and be polite but firm and that should put you on the best road going into the process.

Ah yes, I paid money up front. Forgot about that actually.

In a way getting something back would be a bit of a bonus as I had forgotten. Certainly having that already covered is better than having to cough up. Definitely want to get back what you can though.

Moving house must be one of the worst things ever.

Well, maybe not.

But point made.

And great if you are moving into a much better place.

Originally Posted By: klingon
30% to some leeches?
No thanks.
Take photos, be forceful and don't let them get away with telling you that the cost of cleaning up is exactly the same amount as the money they have.

So when you have been as forceful as you can and if they still wont give you back what you think is fair what other options do you have? Its not like there is a Tenancy Tribunal or something similar that you can go to where any disputes regarding the deposit can be resolved.

If they wouldnt give me back anything after I had tried to negotiate then Id get a company to act on my behalf.
I recon getting back 70% of something is much better than 70% of nothing.

I have not encountered any problems in the few moves I have made.

Perhaps if you have, it is more to do with you and your attitude than anything else.

The last time I had moved from a place in Japan that I had paid the deposit for was over 10 years ago and at that time we got about half back as the tatami had to be replaced which I consider fair.

With the apartment that we have just moved out of(lived in for 3 years) the owner has already told my wife that we wouldnt be getting any of the deposit back and they hadnt even been into the apartment. Thats why Im interested in knowing what we have to pay for that isnt already written in the contact such as cleaning.

Guess I'll find out later in the week during the inspection.

What I got back from my last place seemed fair to me and had no reason to get worked up about it.

There were a few things that needed fixing up and the like.

I did make it clear though that I wanted to know the details so I don't know if that had any affect on it all.

It was all a generally friendly experience though.

Krusty, sounds like you might be getting SHIKIKIN (returnable deposit) mixed up with REIKIN (non-returnable key money).

They would have to be extremely bold (yakuza?) to tell you you are getting no shikikin back without even inspecting.

No no mistake. We got the apartment directly through the owner and would normally pay 2 months reikin but the owner was happy not to take their one month so only paid one month reikin which went to the realestate office who took care of the contract/paperwork.

And also we paid 2 months shikikin. Will be interesting to see what they say after the inspection as the apartment is damage free and perfectly clean.

After me and the Mother in Law spent 2 days cleaning you could eat off the floor....

now Im thinking about how hard she worked Im starting to feel bad about not getting her a Mothers Day present.

Krusty, I did the same. My GF's mum came and helped me scrub the place, we had it cleaner than when I moved into it and they still said it was 60k for cleaning

Originally Posted By: big-will
Well, obviously not you!!!!!

I was meaning just about everyone else.....

Obviously.

You forgot Tubby Beaver, big-will.