Oh! Yuk! E-Coli! That is gross!!!

Quote:
Tokyo - A woman died Wednesday of food poisoning linked to a raw meat dish at a restaurant chain in central Japan, bringing the total number of deaths in the past week to three, news reports said.

The woman had eaten yukhoe, similar to tartare, at the same restaurant in Tonami, Toyama prefecture, where a 6-year-old boy had fallen ill and died Friday after eating the same dish, Jiji Press reported. The restaurant is run by Foods Forus Co, based in nearby Kanazawa.

Another boy died a week ago in Fukui prefecture after eating the same dish at another of the company's restaurants. Both boys were infected with E coli 0-111 strain.

Jiji reported Tuesday that 56 other people were confirmed to be suffering from food poisoning after eating the same dish at four of the company's restaurants.

The company said at a news conference that it had failed for the last two years to conduct hygiene inspections of raw meat supplied for the dish by a Tokyo-based wholesaler.

Originally Posted By: DiGriz
You eat raw meat in a shop that's pricing it at 100 yen/plate?

Sorry, but can you spell Darwin Award...

Psst, you can eat raw fish at 100yen plate.

Shock horror, you don't get food poisoning...

lol Got a point.
Just to clarify: I personally have never been to that chain - and have never paid 100 Yen for that dish where I have eaten it.
Phew - no Darwin Award for me biggrin

Raw meat is awesome: beef, chicken, horse, etc.

But I do think I'd draw the line at raw mince for 100JPY a plate at a chain shop.

As a matter of fact I'm going to a chain outlet to have 100/plate sushi in about 30 minutes, and I plan to scarf up a bellyful, and I won't get food poisoning -- well, haven't yet in 300+ times I've lunched there.

But, I don't eat raw hamburger meat, and if I did I wouldn't do it at some drive-in fast foodery that's offering prices too-low-to-be true (I don't buy used cars from Crazy Eddie, either). lol

not sure what the parents are doing taking a young un to yakiniku. i still wont take my kids there and mine are 4 and 5, simply because i dont trust them not to burn themselves etc and it is a hassle to cook the meat and look after the kids at the same time.

on top of that, feeding a 1 year old yakiniku, even cooked, seems a bit odd. feeding them raw mincemeat with raw egg just seems idiotic.

but as one pundit on the telly said, if it is on the menu then people will think it is totally safe and they will eat it. and if customers are asking for something to be put on the menu, even something dodgy like yukke, then they will put it on.

Originally Posted By: RobBright

Psst, you can eat raw fish at 100yen plate.

Shock horror, you don't get food poisoning...

I think the big difference is the slaughtering and filleting technique that is used in big animals has more potential for splattering the surface of meat with fecal matter, thus introducing food poisoning bacteria onto the meat than the careful filleting of a fish

In my youthful stupidity I used to eat hamburgers so rare that they were barely, if at all, cooked in the center. (This was cooking them myself, not any cheap fast-food crap.) yummy

Then I once got so sick I couldn't eat for five days or retain liquids for more than about 90 seconds. omg

Since then, I've made sure to cook them through -- still rare, but definitely cooked. grandpa