No doubt there are selfish intentions in my enquiry as I am - perhaps with a hint of naivety - considering a (second) snow trip to Japan around Easter (18-21 April).

So far, my research tells me that one obvious possibility would be Niseko (which resort I'm not sure - but probably Hirafu) since the snow holds up til May on a half decent season.

I have also contacted Arai (surprised?) cos despite it's low altitude it usually receives as much snow as the best resorts in Japan in terms of snow record. Furthermore, the low elevation of Arai "apparently" works to its advantage in late season as it becomes sheltered from much of the sunlight (???).

I have even heard Happo/Hakuba to be good but I went there a few weeks ago and it was WARM with only one evening's worth of snow fall (wasn't a dump either).

Got any good late season advice people?

Don't ask why but I happened to have come across some sakura info and apparently there's going to be early blossom this year (not as early as 2002 tho') which means spring should be arriving early this year ... shit

Kagura is usually good in April still and even open (but not recommended) in Golden Week.

Others in the same direction...Tenjin, Okutadami - but I wouldnt be coming from HK to go there ;\)

I boarded pow once at Kiroro in Hokkaido around April 15. Around 20cm there was too. I remember the other days being icy and nasty, but I was a beginner at the time and this may be a slight exaggeration. All but the "advanced" courses off the top gondola station were closed and I had problems on the steepish bits. I also had problems on the extremely flat bit at the bottom of that run, but that's another story. ;\)

The latest I've boarded decent fresh snow around Nagano/Niigata was on April 1 at Arai in 2001. Even then, it was very slushy at the bottom and getting back to the base involved skating.

Hokkaido packages should be really cheap late season. If the snow isn't so good at Niseko, you could always go rafting or kayaking.

In Nagano as much as I hate the place shiga kogen has some of the best early and late snow around simply because its so high up.

I went hiking up there one time in June and there were people driving up with skis and I was thinking whaaaaaaa? Got up there and loads of people had built kickers on the pockets of snow left and were practicing their tricks. Die hard people.

• 2 weeks later...

Hakkoda (Aomori Prefecture) usually has snow until June. The Gondola runs year round too. I'd venture to say they have some of the better spring skiing in Japan. It's not groomed, but if you like backcountry, this should be a place you check out.

• 2 weeks later...