I was up at Teine Olympia the other day with the kids Nicole (12) and Vince Jr. (10). While there we decided to skin up one of the old abandoned lifts. Teine is nice for this it a good place to go and break the kids in right. Our initial plan was to skin up to the top near the old bobsled run and return to do some skiing at the resort. When we got up to the top we had a small break and quick chat.

From the top you’re able to return to the resort or drop over the back side and do this run that puts you almost into the town of Teine. People sometimes skin up and ski back down this run. The kids were kind of curious and changed the plans and dropped over the top. The run when it was in operation was probably an intermediate run but now it’s partially overgrown and has natural snow conditions consisting of 2â€pow on top of 6†of crud. It made for some interesting skiing to say the least.

When we got to the bottom the kids were singing Christmas carols and were all smiles. We wound calling mom to pick us up versus skinning back up decided not to turn this into a suffer fest for kids.

quattro_30.JPG

It's all about the up !!

quattro_31.JPG

The Back side

quattro_32.JPG

Vince dropping a knee

quattro_33.JPG

Nicole drops in

quattro_34.JPG

as matter of interest, what is the special thing about this style of skiing? I've only skied a handful of times so not competent in the slightest but many skiers I've spoken to seem to hold this up as some sort of Skiing Nirvana.

Mr Wiggles The gear is a mix from all over. I had some one I work with bring the boots over. The bindings have been recycled off of other skis. As far as other gear goes I try to keep a gear room mentality He who need it uses it. It just get to expensive to outfit the entire family.

T Pow. They take to it rather quickly. I let them make regular P turns just to get use to the feel. I also had them do a tele shuffle on flats. It just progressed from there.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
as matter of interest, what is the special thing about this style of skiing? I've only skied a handful of times so not competent in the slightest but many skiers I've spoken to seem to hold this up as some sort of Skiing Nirvana.

Interested as well.
Originally Posted By: iiyamadude
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver

Interested as well.

seems no-one is willing to divulge the Holy Grail of Skiing secrets sadface

Sorry I did not post back sooner. I was in Tokyo working some ridiculous hours. I got back in late Friday and opted to ski Saturday versus post. Got to get the priorities straight.

Way back in the early 80’s was up at Breckenridge and saw this couple telemarking down the slope. It was almost like they were dancing it really beautiful to watch. Later that day I was lucky enough to share a chair with them and had a chance to talk to them about it. Afterward I said to myself I would not mid trying that.

Flash forward over 20 years. I was getting bored with regular skiing and decided to just up and switch. Picked up a set of skis and boots and lets do this. It was almost like learning to ski all over again. Several seasons latter, well do I look as good as that couple I first saw “hell noâ€.

Tele is not easy but when done right can be one of the most graceful of all forms of ski sports. There are several advantages and probably more disadvantages. But it can be really a lot of fun.

Cal

The run is accessible from two spots. Hike / skin up from the warming hut at Olympia or the longer way from the old lodge as you drive up. It's on the left not too far from the Hi way entrance. Both the short and long runs are not groomed and natural conditions exists.