Feb13th 2011 Ski report from Shirakaba Kogen Kokusai

Ok after getting back from Hakuba late saturday night, my brother and I decided that just 2 days of skiing wasn't enough, so I suggested Shirakaba Kogen Kokusai, it is part of Tateshina as it is skiers only and offers beautiful views down into the valley and lake.

It is located in Nagano about 30k's from Suwa IC.

If you drive there after a heavy snowfall you certainly need 4WD as it is all up hill on snowy roads.

There are also bus tours to the resort.

It was blue bird skys all day and with about 40cm of fresh snow all over the place from the previous two days heavy snowfall, as soon as we arrived we knew we were in for a treat.

Actually the roads up were quite snowed up.

Anyway the resort is only small, but really nice. It has a one very small beginner slope, which actually we didn't even try.

First we wanted to check out the 5 klm forest course, which is what we did.

We got on the gondola went up to the top, found the entrance to the forest course, and were surprised to see that we needed to either ski or hike up hill for about 500-800 metres before arriving on the downhill part of the course.

It was fun and really beautiful, with boot to knee deep snow everywhere, it was like skiing through a magical white world.

The course it self was just way to slow, even a beginner would find it to slow as it was nearly flat at lest for the first half. And the course that goes through the forest is actually a road for cars that is shut off during winter.

It was a great experience, and would have been better if the distance to ski / hike up hill was shorter, having said that if we spent more time to ski to the top then it would be different.

Anyone who doesn't like to hike or ski up hill through snow would not enjoy the first part.

Although a bit of hard work to get to the main forest trial, the views are stunning and well worth the effort, even if the skiing is slow.

After sliding halfway down we decided to take a short cut back onto the main ski field.

We skied down the intermediate course, which for my brother was a bit tricky, but anyway he tried it and it went ok.

After getting down the bottom we went up the centre lift and as my brother got better he attempted the more advanced course, and by the end of the day was doing quite well.

We basically spent most of the day skiing down the three main courses at our own paces, having a really good time.

The was also an advanced downhill slalam course that I went on, which I really liked.

The snow was really good, chopped up of course, but never the less powder all day.

The course angles varied, and the terrain was similar between the courses, but they where fast and bumpy, which is anyway what I like.

I guess with the excellent views, nice snow and although the courses were maybe only about 1.5 klm long, they where wide and reasonably steep and bumpy enough to make skiing down hill fast with lots of turns, really exciting.

I really like downhill slalam and that style of skiing while going fast, so this resort just seemed to suit me, in someways more than Hakuba.

To the left of the advanced course there was also a short forest course where you could literaly ski through the trees, which made for an exciting detour about a third of the way down the farside course, which came back on to the slope a little further down or you could ski to the carpark.

We both agreed that it was a day well spent and would both like to come back there again.

It is one of these resorts that although small has just the right terrain to allow you to do your own style of skiing, and as it was not at all crowded made it even better.

If you are looking for really long courses that takes a while to descend then here is not the resort for you, but if you just want a fun day with great views where you can ski as you want not as the terrain governs then this is worth a look.

Also you can do snow shoeing along thhe forest course, which would actually be very nice. Although I brought my snow shoes we didn't bother.

The food at the resort was edible like most places with a limited selection. Bringing your own food would be a better option.

There is a hotel at the resort, which may offer better food, but we did not go in to check.

Even at the foot of the resort you have a lovely view and from the top a great view. You can also see the lake below which is frozen so solid that cars drive over it.

It is cold, because even though it was sunny all day, the day time temps last sunday was around -8 max. The base of the resort is close to 1700 metres above sea level.

In the sun it felt really nice actually, but on a snowy day I would think it would fill very very cold.

snowdude00_86.JPG

Snowy fields

snowdude00_89.JPG

Snowy road on thwe way

snowdude00_88.JPG

snowdude00_91.JPG

Top of the gondola station

snowdude00_87.JPG

snowdude00_92.JPG

The forest course

snowdude00_93.JPG

snowdude00_94.JPG

snowdude00_95.JPG

snowdude00_96.JPG

snowdude00_98.JPG

Soft Pow

snowdude00_99.JPG

Looking down at the frozen lake with cars driving over it.

snowdude00_101.JPG

View from the top just to the right of the Gondola

snowdude00_100.JPG

View of the summit

Yeah we didn't drive on it, but basically cars can go around a course on the lake as far as I know, looks like something I would like to do mext time I go.

Gives you an idea though of how cold it is there, that the lake is frozen enough to drive cars on!