FEATURE : What about an employee and equipment appreciation day?

A new Setting Journals feature, "What about an employee and equipment appreciation day?", has been put online.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/setting-journals-9.html

The first day of each month in the resort industry is always significant, as both guests of winter resorts and employees of them seem to experience a change of mind frame. Here in Japan, November 1st is recognized by Snow Japan as the start of a new white season, December 1st signals the opening of some resorts, January 1st is of course New Years, while the same day in February may be characterized as being perhaps the peak of the powder season. What about March 1st? My choice for this day would have to be an employee and equipment appreciation day...

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/setting-journals-9.html

Please note that the views expressed in any Features on Snow Japan are not necessarily those of Snow Japan.

Discuss it here....

Hi Dumbstick

There was an incident at the ARAI GUIDE CENTER involving our disabled program. To be honest I too do not quite undrestand everything, but needless to say that ARAI is taking this one seriously. In addition to the top page, there is also some further info. on the Japanese BBS.

As far as I understand, nobody is physically hurt and the incident stems from a difference of opinion between a guest and a customer.

Once I understand the incident in full I will be able to answer your question in better detail.

Thanks and regards

Blair.

That apology is excessive. It sounds like the resort is quite happy to name and shame members of staff in front of everyone who visits the Arai website, even though such visitors haven't got the faintest idea what went on.

Let's face it, some people will complain about anything. It doesn't mean you should turn on your own staff or make a mountain out of a molehill.

Dear No Fakie

While it is true that some people will complain about anything, they represent the reality of the service industry.

I'm not sure if the apology is excessive or not at this point, as I still do not understand exactly what happened.

Scooby doo

It is a big deal to stand up and make an apology, especially in such a prominent manner during the middle of the season.

Rach

The apology has now been removed from the top page of the Japanese website. I will let you know more about what happened when I do.

Scouser

Before I worked at ARAI, I skied here as a guest several times from the start of the opening season ten years ago. I also used to get out on the slopes daily when I helped to set up the mountain each morning. Employees at ARAI do receive a version of the seasons pass offered to guests; However, private skiing is limited to non-peak periods. Lately I don't manage to get out on the slopes so much as I tend to keep quite busy attending to guests in the village. Some days, it is even challenging to get to my desk in the main office, let alone out on the slopes.

Thank you and regards

Blair.

Hi

No, nobody lost their jobs as far as I can tell.

Needless to say though, the incident was a stressful one for all of those involved.

It is my intention here to explain what I presently understand about the incident(which stems from our disabled program), and move on.

On a day when the two main staff members of the disabled program were not available, a third staff member met with the guest concerned, and followed up by writing some notes in a folder intended only for staff-to-staff communication.

On a subsequent meeting, one of the main staff members of the disabled program was having a meeting with the same guest, but was called away. The folder was left in front of the guest, who managed to read the contents.

The guest objected to the contents of the file, which marked the beginning of the incident in question. I do not know either what was written in the file, or who exactly is to blame.

green

it is impressive. A nice mountain with lots of space and modern buildings etc.

Pray that the conditional zones are open. I have been there plenty of times this year and have really bad luck with the weather, but I reckon it would be my choice of places to be in Nagano (from the places I have been) if the powder was on and the conditional zones open.

Oh, and try to take lunch at the top gondola resturant. The offerings at the base are not in proportion in size or quality to the plaza.

ps - dont duck any ropes, I hear that they take it very seriously.