Anyone here buy and give gift cards?

Or like getting them?

Not personal enough or just the ticket as a good present?

I read somewhere recently of how big a percentage are not used. Seems silly to me, I sure use any I would get.

Agree Kev. But you need to know your recipient.

#1 son was given a large gift certificate for his 18th and has 'lost' it, he was able to go to the store and have it looked up on their system, but he has never bothered. I thought it would be a good gift and suggested it. I was wrong.

I used them for gifts for SILs 10 kids this year for birthdays, easier to send to another state, and something they enjoyed - going shopping with their own 'money'.

Our 4 received itunes vouchers this Christmas - lovely sentiment, but they 'file share' and so do not use itunes. I however DO use itunes, as does Papa...so we will exchange them with the kids for cash.

They are a great idea, but only if chosen wisely - as with most other gifts.

I agree with MB

It makes life easier for the givers of course - nice for parents who are already rushed off their feet trying to buy for the younger cousins and get xmas dinner organised.

Personally I don't give gift cards, but then I don't really give presents to anyone unless I happen to walk past something that is perfect.

• 2 weeks later...