Hi guys,

Me and my 12 year old son are going to ski Japan for the first time. I have read tons of reviews and looked at your pictures. We are intermediate/strong intermediate skiers trying to pick a resort.

Since he is in school we can only go during spring break with skiing March 14-17 (middle of the week). I was looking at Niigata or Nagano so I don’t have to get too far from Tokyo since this is such a short trip. I have looked over the average weather data on this website and the snow depths and temps look good, however quite a few reviews as well as daily reports from last March mention warm/rain days with slushy runs.

Ideal scenario:

Powder, packed powder and groomed runs with little or no moguls.

Plan B:

If no matter where I go there is a possibility of warm days with slushy snow I would like to find a resort that had enough variety that I could still find non slushy runs somewhere.

Plan C:

If that is just not possible then maybe a resort with enough cool stuff besides skiing to see for me and my 12 year old boy in the event I encounter a warm stretch of weather.

Hakuba 47 sounded good till I read a lot about the moguls. So I am leaning staying in Naeba so I can also access the Kagura area. Surely with that much terrain I will be able to ski most of the time?

I would appreciate any suggestions. The only thing I can’t change is the dates.

Greetings from a fellow Texan,

I like the Yuzawa area as there is a lot of resorts in a pretty small area and it's convenient from Tokyo.

Kagura, Centleisure Maiko, and Joetsu Kokusai are all good picks but Kagura has the altitude advantage to keep the snow fresher. There is one or two spots at Kagura where the courses are left ungroomed and moguls are allowed to form, but they're easily avoided.

Most places have at least one mogul run, but they can always be avoided. You can get rain/slush in March, but at the higher resorts, I'd say you'll most likely get good conditions - packed powder/groomed most likely. If you are unlucky, you could get the rain and slush, but equally you could end up with knee-deep powder. Higher resorts easily accessible from Tokyo include Kagura, Hakuba and Shiga Kogen. I think also Nozawa Onsen is fairly high, and is an interesting place to visit, too. These are the main ones, but there are many others. Obviously, the best conditions will tend to be found higher up. Personally, I love skiing from the very top lift at Kagura in March.

For variety of hills, I'd say Shiga Kogen, Hakuba and Myoko Kogen. March is a bit of a mixed bag as far as weather is concerned. For better snow conditions you should look for resorts a little higher up like Kagura. Have fun and enjoy your stay!

I will recommend that you go to European Alps in March. Especially you are coming from USA.

Why would anyone go to the above mentioned resorts to ski slush is a mistery. Unless you live in Japan, of course, and in that case I would go to Hokkaido if I can afford it.

Japan is popular amongst Aussies because it is a day flight, working holiday arragements between the two countries, and because there are Aussies there and some English is spoken.

If your interest lie in Japanese culture and would like to mix up some very early spring cherry blossoms down south with some spring snow up north, then it´s a great time to visit.

Good point Rob.

wink thumbsup

Personally growing up in Japan during my Junior/High school years there, I can´t see the big deal about these resorts.

My friends and I would dream of going to the European Alps, Canada, Alaska .

And our home ground was Naeba (because a friend owned a condo in VILLA 2) Price hotel was spankin new, just had a World Cup.

Never thought there would be a day when N American or European visitors will go to Yuzawa or Hakuba.

Hokkaido I can understand.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

The original idea was to go to Japan, but have something to do besides wander around Tokyo like a tourist. So skiing seemed like a good idea. We are fortunate enough to have access to great resorts in Colorado to ski so I wanted to try something totally different.

If I was going purely for the skiing experience I would of picked Hokkaido in February. So I am not super picky about conditions as long as I am not sitting around in the rain/slush!

Rob – I had looked over those data and to me it seems like it is anybody’s guess as to the weather but from what I could find out from reading it seems I have the best chance at Kagura with the altitude and average temps. Always good to get the opinion of those that have firsthand knowledge. Thanks again.

Quote:
what I could find out from reading it seems I have the best chance at Kagura with the altitude and average temps.

That is correct.
I live closeby.
You can pretty much always count on Kagura as being the best in the region.
You can also believe those those reports as I know who write them and he is one of us.
friend

Yeah I remember having that last year, didn't really go that much last year....think maybe only twice. I do enjoy trying out new places, but usually early and late season I'll plump for altitude so Kagura gets the nod.....still waiting for THIS eary season mind you! hmmph!