Hello! so my partner and I live in Nagoya and just recently booked a trip to Hokkaido (Furano) in a package with JAL. So excited!! Until we realised the snow season seems to be taking it's sweet time getting here.

We leave on the 19th Dec and from the current reports it doesn't look too good for us. What do you think? If the resort isn't open do you have any suggestions for what we could do in that area (instead of crying ourselves to sleep because of a wasted trip)?

Thanks!

I've got my fingers crossed for you (and me, as I arrive there on 5th Jan!!) but if all else fails, there are some good onsen, great cafes and good ramen restaurants in and around Furano. Asahikawa's the nearest city (I guess you might be flying in to Asahikawa airport) and that's worth a view (it's easy to reach by bus and/or train from Furano), as is the zoo there. GOOD LUCK!!! thumbsup

I'm really liking the look of a system forecast next week. I very hopeful that it's going to be the real season starter for the whole of Japan.

If this baby comes off it's going to be good thumbsup

gfsx_500p_9d_easia.gif

Yea i saw that myself yesterday. WOW! If that comes off the season will be well and truely underway. Unfortunately its still a week away...fingers crossed

Looking good guys and girls - here's a snippet from today's report:-

"There were some nice smiles and proclamations of a great powder day yesterday!"

Now I can start to get excited! biggrin

• 2 weeks later...

So guys and girls (Tina, Slippery Jim, Chriselle and anybody else who's up there at the mo'), how's Furano?? I see that Kitanomine opened today so it must be getting better. clap

Just back to Tokyo this evening. Today wasn't bad, with maybe 10-15cm of new snow, a little heavy but definitely fun compared to the hardpack of our first few days. Unfortunately, the Kitanomine quad lift shut down just after we came back out from an early lunch (having skipped breakfast), and what with bus/plane timing, etc. we called it a day, went back to the hotel changed, packed etc. -- and then somebody came in and announced the quad was back in action!

Anyway, if you're going up in the next few days it should be pretty good as the snow was supposed to continue through the weekend. This storm should open up all of the Furano side (we didn't go over after the quad closed, because the bus schedule to get back wasn't quite friendly enough) and I'd expect even the Kitanomine gondola -- which wasn't open today.

Originally Posted By: best skier in hakuba
Got any pics to share mate?
Interested to see more of Furano.
Best way is to get over there! Not a huge hike, for you! wink