Do they know you are staying for 3 months? If not just have enough cash for a couple weeks. wink

Whats the cheapest ferry fare out of Japan, maybe that is an option?

FWIW Why didnt you buy a return tkt to start with as normally that's the cheapest way?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete has a point there.

Mitch, I was thinking carry your funds in a different way. Don´t just rely on one bank card/credit card.

You can get ;

(1) Visa Cash Card which works like a debit card to whatever amount you put in.

(2) Travelers CQ in YEN.

(3) Little bit of cash so you don´t have to go to the bank when you arrive.

(4,5..) Credit Cards.

They are not going to check your bank statement. They will do that if you are applying for a 6 months Visa.

But the credit card means jack shit in immigration's eyes though.

go for T/C in Yen and cash. Also take a credit card just in case, but don't be surprised if they just fob it off.

This is slightly illegal but with ticketless flights this year, why dont you make an itinerary up yourself and make it look as it came from a travel agency....i really do not think that an immigration officer would check by calling the airline company.

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Sounds to me that there is a lot of uncertainty, no-one really knows the situation, and it's a risk.
If it was me, I wouldn't want to take that risk.

I don't want to take the risk. I am going to buy another one way ticket and have the e-ticket on me. Hopefully they will be okay with that? I don't understand why they wouldn't be. Going to bring-

Bank account prints totaling well enough to get me there, back, and sustained almost $1,000 USD in cash
my 2 debit and 2 credit cards
E-ticket of a flight I will later refund/change
proof of my parents support in case of an emergency (any ideas how?)
proof of a job where I can work globally and manage pay electronically

I can't imagine that it would be illegal to let you on the plane with a one way ticket. Any travel agent I've ever used has stated quite clearly that it is the customer's responsibility to know and understand the visa and immigration rules of the country you are flying to...

Obviously, the best thing to do is contact the consulate or embassy to find out the details. When I came it was with a one way ticket but I had a three year work visa...

Are consulate or embassys full of staff who are reliable.

Just in the last few weeks I have had bad / incorrect advice given to me. Once at Docomo and ones in Yamada denki. Sadly, it's not always enough to take some glib comments without any kind of written confirmation. I'd get written confirmation on something important like this Mitch rather than just getting info on the phone whatever.

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Oh and be careful MP - do not say you are going to work in Niseko UNLESS you have a work visa!

of course, definitely not doing that, just skiing for now unless I get change of status thanks for the heads up

Hopefully this well help someone else as well....

I called the Airlines, Embassy, travel agents. What it comes down to is you just need to show proof of a return ticket. An e-ticket is fine to go to Japan with a return date scheduled within the 90 days for a tourist visa. I want to thank anyone who gave me advice in here and it looks like I am all set. Will still have all the documents in case! I owe anyone a beer who gave me advice, see you in Niseko!

Originally Posted By: MitchPee
Originally Posted By: RobBright
Oh and be careful MP - do not say you are going to work in Niseko UNLESS you have a work visa!

of course, definitely not doing that, just skiing for now unless I get change of status thanks for the heads up

Yeah, you'll definitely need a return ticket and cash on you, at least enough for a few weeks.
Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
I owe anyone a beer who gave me advice, see you in Niseko!

In that case got anymore questions? smile

You already qualify for one...

How many Aussies you know that will only have one beer? smile

How many Aussies you know that will only have one beer? smile

Lots, that is when they switched to the canned Beam/Cola