Woa, very expensive bindings tripler !

I like the Aluminum base plate bindings. Mine is too.

As to the binding selection, I really have to say that you gotta fit the boot into the binding (this can be done in your hands) to see the boot width fits snug with the binding at the base and the highback contour . How the highback raps around the back of the boot.

You might feel limited in your movement going from nose to tail when it´s too stiff.

I´m a ex-skier so the front lean on my boots when skiing is really important for me. That translates to sideways body movement, (nose to tail ) in snowboarding. I like wider stance so I got to have some movement here - in my case, my boot. The thing with boots is that after about 30 -50 days the boot and the lining looses firmness. This actually works for me, while for most people it translates to " the boots is too worn, I need a new one "

In the old days I found security in really tight fitting ski boots to a point I needed to release my buckles at the bottom of the run. Not any more. I like to have a bit of movement in my tail side foot ankle.

So stiff binding is good for freeride in general including pow but how stiff? I can´t say.

I am reluctant to spend that much money on the stiffness factor of the binding. The Scot is penny-wise. I agree with him.

I think like this - it´s where the linkage of your body (foot) and board. - meaning binding plus boot combined to function,

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HOW TO USE THIS GUIDE   Guide Contents:   1. How to Use this Guide. 2. Step 1: Types of Board. 3. Step 2: Sizing Your Deck. 4. Step 3: The Miracle of Flex. 5. Step 4: Board shapes. 6.

I'm more interested in whether they're better in powder than whether they're worth the extra $$$. If a super-stiff binding doesn't make much difference in powder, then I'd probably go for a medium-stiff because that would be better for groomed runs. There's a medium-stiff in the top of the range, though a bit cheaper, and a very stiff (4.5/5) in the middle of the range. The question is just - is super-stiff noticeably better for powder, considering medium-stiff probably is better for groomed runs?

I am amazed at the amount of contradiction in opinion on snowboards.

I believe a lot of it has to do with which store you visit whether it be in person or online and depending which manufacturer that store is aligned with as to what rebates or deals that store receives from any particular manufacturer and what the best Gross Profit is on a particular board and then you have how inexperienced the consumer is to believe all marketing jargon they have just been sold.

I know my daughter when buying a board believes she is a better rider than I think she actually is and I think a lot of people are of a similar ilk, are we better riders than we actually are???

And then I have seen my daughter listen to some special sales spiel convoluted amount of technical diarrhea and all of a sudden there are 5 boards lined up in front of her then she makes her a choice on colour and design...

I am looking at buying a new board and I am more confused than ever, I feel like buying 10 different boards roping them all together and riding them all at once.

I pose the question to anyone that has an opinion for me?

Exp 6 years, intermediate / advanced, a cruiser, love tree riding in POW! 90KG and 5' 11"

Current bindings flow something or rather (In storage ready for Xmas in Niseko)

I am interested in how many boards will be recommended????

what I do (did) is have a nosy online so i can calmly browse each board (nothing worse than sales guys hassling u instore, I often walk out the store when they approach me), have an idea what you want to do with it or want it to allow u to do, then settle on 1 or 2 and then ask the sales rep what the difference is. I then, when all is said and done, go with my gut......get the board that your mind is telling u to get, cut through all the tech terms and listen to yourself.

capita Black snowboard of Death.

There you go. Now the only thing you need to think about is whether you want the 159 or the 162. More float in general and a more stable ride = 162, zipping in the trees and cruising = 159.

Actually, the whole point of the guide itself was so you'd do just about that :) That is, you read the guide, get an idea of what the tech is and what the nonsense youre reading on the manufacturers website and then decide for yourself what board of theirs suits you. Then you can start tinkering with yrou own preferences.

But if you dont wanna do anything like that then the bsod. :)

Absolutely brilliant ippy, your right....your 10 page blurb did help me...much appreciated...... I've just bought an endeavor Hi 5 159 online from New Zealand at a bargain thank god I found a weaker currency than the Oz $$$

Banno. in the end people will recommend you what they want to sell. or what they want to ride. or what they have been riding.

Ippy has been riding Capita (only, all of them very similar except for the Charlie) , there you go.

This is all catalogue talk, like which Tupperware to buy, or talking to a guy in the local hardware store. They haven´t actually used the gear or did any work with them.

At your level, you should know at least what you would like to ride, have a feeling of what might work for you. Some people like a saw that cuts on a pull, some like it cut on a push. Or try something new.

Translate this to camber or rocker boards. (you haven´t told us if you want camber/rocker. Can´t recommend one without more info)