First , you need to understand that wine was not a popular drink in the late ´70s. People didn´t understand them, and they were expensive. What one would pay $5- for a bottle of white in Australia would be about 3000 Yen in Japan. Most people´s knowledge was limited to Red is for meat and White is for fish. Japanese didn´t even think of putting a bottle of white in the fridge. It has always been thought as a imported excess and to be consumed on special occasions.

Suntory has been very influential in changing all of that through advertising but mainly because they were able to produce White affected by Botrytis cinerea. French call it pourriture nobl, In German, Edelfäule. Using that oppotunity, they ran ads,... to establish themselves that the Japanese domestic wine is `up there with the world´ and to encourage ( daily, and Suntory wine) consumption. Also, Wine, particularly of the red variety.

With Beaujolais nouveau, simply new wine out of Beajolais region, is something people who are wine drinkers wouldn´t drink. But here is the example of what marketing/advertising/word-of-mouth can do, and how trend can establish bullshit into fashion.

Over 10 years ago (maybe 15). Somehow there were excessive supply of that thing. They marketed it as a very special wine. Young Japanese women caught on. Wine consumption boomed. After all those years, since late ´70s, finally, a wine for all occasions and status symbol showing one´s lifestyle sophistication.

there... BS in my own words.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
First , you need to understand that wine was not a popular drink in the late ´70s. People didn´t understand them, and they were expensive. What one would pay $5- for a bottle of white in Australia would be about 3000 Yen in Japan. Most people´s knowledge was limited to Red is for meat and White is for fish. Japanese didn´t even think of putting a bottle of white in the fridge. It has always been thought as a imported excess and to be consumed on special occasions.
Suntory has been very influential in changing all of that through advertising but mainly because they were able to produce White affected by Botrytis cinerea. French call it pourriture nobl, In German, Edelfäule. Using that oppotunity, they ran ads,... to establish themselves that the Japanese domestic wine is `up there with the world´ and to encourage ( daily, and Suntory wine) consumption. Also, Wine, particularly of the red variety.

With Beaujolais nouveau, simply new wine out of Beajolais region, is something people who are wine drinkers wouldn´t drink. But here is the example of what marketing/advertising/word-of-mouth can do, and how trend can establish bullshit into fashion.
Over 10 years ago (maybe 15). Somehow there were excessive supply of that thing. They marketed it as a very special wine. Young Japanese women caught on. Wine consumption boomed. After all those years, since late ´70s, finally, a wine for all occasions and status symbol showing one´s lifestyle sophistication.

funny how its changed, cos they even put Red in the fridge....much to my father's disgust!
Originally Posted By: Jynxx

Yeah, you got it right! Except that when I lived in France I remember them making a pretty big deal about it too. The wine is only aged for a few weeks and is used to celebrate the harvest of the real deal. It really is all about marketing though. Loads of bars would sell the stuff super cheap. Happy winos everywhere!!

Third Thursday of November.

Was it the toffs of Oxford or Cambridge who did the London -> Beaujolais run on the day before so that they had the first bottle in England by sunrise.

Nice. Very fruity, no tanins, no character. Just fermented juice. Loved it as a student. Don't drink it now anymore.

It's a world phenomenon with bottles airfrieghted at the agreed time to be on the shelves by the third Thursday.

Wikipedia says Germans buy lots too, so maybe its not a Japanese-will-buy-anything issue. Just a light, easy to drink one.

The big trend in Anglo countries is towards 15% by vol wines. Basically pushing the grape to get as much alcohol as possible at the expense of the traditional taste. Wine for women to get squiffy on.

Originally Posted By: thursday
it is good for getting wasted. And it should be chilled like a white.

THAT'S why its popular here then!! wink

Is that to hide the real taste of the wine?

actually thats reminded me of a programme I watched, where they took a regular white wine and added food colouring to it to make it look like a red wine, they then got all these amateur wine buffs to come in for a wine tasting session and asked them to describe and rate the wine. All of them described a typically red wine, even although the only thing red about it was the colour, the taste was still exactly the same as before the dye was added! lol

I think the reason why the japa girls liked it from starters is that it tastes fruity and alcohol and is chilled.

Back 30 years ago, wine was not popular, but WINE COOLER was.

This is a tall drink they mix wine (late picked, fruity and sweet), ginger ale or lemonade, orange, bitters, etc ...really whatever depending on the place.

I´m surprised that Beaujolais nouveau is still a big deal in Japan.

How a country take in festivities of others and do whatever with it.

I drink a fair bit of red wine. Usually something in the 1500 to 2000 yen range. My wife brought a bottle of this home yesterday and says here's some "nouveau". I say nouveau what? And then we proceed to have a "who's on first" kind of discussion around the word "nouveau". wakaranai

Looks like cheap swill to me. Taste report to follow.

• 2 weeks later...