I've not heard of that being the case, although lots of people in a town "know people" and so there'll be lots of discounted tickets flying about. Maybe.

Cheap, all-area pass? In Hakuba you've got to be under 18 and still in school.

There is a cheap all-Hakuba pass for adults, but you have to enter a lottery to get it. No-one I know has heard of anyone with a Hakuba address winning. If anything it's NOT for the locals. mad.gif mad.gif

So with that logic I should get a deal at every temple in kyoto. If I live near the Airport I should be able to get cheaper flights. How about the people near amusement parks, shouldnt they get in for free. The people of the area in most cases benifit from the resort being where it is, ie hotels and jobs that wouldnt be there etc.

Don't locals often get discounts at onsen? And at other "town operated" facilities? Lots of snow resorts are town operated, I presume they are the ones that might give locals some kind of benefit.

Its like the town sento a cheap seasons pass right. Most good resorts offer a cheaper pass if bought early. The resorts I lived in treated us right, throwing good parties, free skating, hockey, pools etc. In return the resorts asked us to buy a pass. That pass gave then the start up money for the year. As much as I want to pay nothing I know I have to pay my share.

Yeah, it's work and family. My family aren't into boarding so trips together are out. The nearest resort is still about 45 min or more away so it takes time. And I have a lot of work on these days. Bummer really.

Last year and this year I got 2 free day passes to any of the resorts where I live but they are all lame so Id rather pay to go somwhere good. It is to encourage locals to ski as most dont anymore.

Most people know someone or can get free tickets if you want. Everyone has connections. A friend of mine is at a high school that has a special ski training program so he often checks us out free passes to somewhere if Im looking for a bit of a change. But Ive got a season pass for Nozawa where I like so usually just go there and flag the freebies.

Where I live you have to be registered at the town office to get the freebies. However the local gaijin at the Nozawa Onsen village office doesnt even get freebies and doesnt even get a discount. But I do know a certian person that teaches at the jr high school in Hakuba and she got a big fat super special superduper discount season pass for the area. Its just the luck of the draw and who you know.

NETWORKING NETWORKING NETWORKING

• SnowJapan Admin

Just to add to this.

Town office workers and teachers in Yuzawa are supplied with "all Yuzawa" tickets, which they can use at any resort within the towns boundaries (all 19 of them). Each school, and each section of the town office, gets a few for the teachers to use.

School children and pensioners can also buy a season pass for "all Yuzawa" at the beginning of the season.