Tokyo Day Trips! Review my 10-11 season plan

Originally Posted By: beowulf
Why should people avoid Karuizawa? I have never been there, so I do not know why it is bad. I am just curious, because everybody seems to agree that it is bad.

It is probably a bit too expensiveã€but you could try Minakami.

Where shall I start?

Flatter than Niseko. wink
Artificial snow.
Runs are too short.
Even if it is real snow, then it will be ice by lunchtime.
Expensive for what it is.

The only good thing about this place, is that beginners will find it nice and easy.
Originally Posted By: Sutebun

My plan for the season is something like this:

Nozawa (once in December while it's cheap), karuizawa, white world (ozeiwakura), Hakuba Goryu, Inawashiro, Centleleisure Maiko, others???

[...]

If anyone has some comments about the places I listed please share!

Inawashiro is nice. Went there on a Saturday in January, don't remember the lift lines being particularly bad. Perhaps it is just far enough away from Tokyo to not become a zoo the way people are saying Gala (to which I have never been) does.

By the same token, though, how much time on-hill would you get there?

If you take the night bus, you'll arrive about 6am-6.30am. I've taken the night bus up to Gran Deco before and its not too far away from Inawashiro, they do drop offs at the various resorts aroud there.

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Originally Posted By: beowulf
Why should people avoid Karuizawa? I have never been there, so I do not know why it is bad. I am just curious, because everybody seems to agree that it is bad.

It is probably a bit too expensiveã€but you could try Minakami.

Where shall I start?

Flatter than Niseko. wink
Artificial snow.
Runs are too short.
Even if it is real snow, then it will be ice by lunchtime.
Expensive for what it is.

The only good thing about this place, is that beginners will find it nice and easy.

Fair enough! I will not be going there any time in the near future.

I am spending a day and a half in Tokyo (2 nights) my intention is to go about radio center in Akihabara to buy a lot of electronic components and explore the place (many people in Australia still thinks that taking their picture steals their soul so these parts are hard to get and expensive to import) I will buy stuff, post it back then head North to Niseko for 7 nights smile

Well it's all snow-dependant of course, but I'd like to go Hakuba for a day or 2 in the 2nd or 3rd week of December, then do a daytrip with MiniMoose on the 20th to somewhere in Nigatta and if I can squeeze it in before I head up to Hokkaido on 5th Jan, a Shink-trip to Gala biggrin