Hello there everyone, any feedback on the following questions really appreciated:

Are there many opportunities for qualified, Japanese speaking (kind of...), snowboard instructors in Japan?

I am planning on getting qualified in NZ this summer, but want to find out if using this in Japan is a realistic goal... or should I just spend the money on doing a TEFL and getting a driving license instead and come and teach again?

The issue is partly a financial one, as I would be borrowing some money to get the qualifications.

There are the 2 or 3 western-run centres in Niseko, but are there ever any non-Japanese instructors in the Hakuba area?

AK, if its gonna be a financial issue as to get the qualifications and then pay it back I would go for the TEFL cert. and teach. You would be able to find a school that gives you lots of time off where you can do what you want, have a month off over winter, and still be out on every weekend. Especially if you have teaching exp. here, some Japanese, and a TEFL qualification, would be helpful in getting a job. Guess only drawback is the market really is getting flooded.

There are a couple of companies in Hakuba who do English lessons: Evergreen Outdoor Center and ???. I know theyve been swamped this year and coulda used more staff at a few peak points throughout the season.

Hope it worksout

Teach in nagano or up in amori and hit the weekends for a year pay back your dues. Then the next season when you get a 3 year visa go work anywhere you want at a ski field or outdoor company. outdoor companies need raft guides and guide/teachers.

If you go through the Rookie Academy in NZ based in Wanaka you will get the chance (providing you pass) to do a season in Hyogo West Japan teaching to groups of JHS/HS students. It used to be just skis but the boarding side of it is (finally) becoming a lot more popular (amongst the students that is).Good Luck>

• 4 years later...

I'm very happy, healthy and moderately wealthy from instructing in the Niseko Resort Area. In this field it's not necessarily how much you make but how much you're left with after expenses.

For example, does the company you work for provide free lift passes, equipment, clothing etc? That can add up to a significant amount of money each year that you don't need to earn.