Quote:
China forces woman into abortion at EIGHT months for breaching one-child policy

An eight-months pregnant woman was dragged from her home and forced to have an abortion because she had broken China’s one-child-per-family law.

Twelve government officials entered Xiao Aiying’s house where they hit and kicked her in the stomach, before taking her kicking and screaming to hospital.

There, the 36-year-old was restrained as doctors injected her with a drug to kill the unborn baby.

Her husband Luo Yanquan, a construction worker, yesterday described the moment officials burst into his family home.
‘They held her hands behind her back and pushed her head against the wall and kicked her in the stomach,’ he said. ‘I don’t know if they were trying to give her a miscarriage.
‘Our ten-year-old daughter has been excited about having a little brother or sister but I don’t know how I can explain to her what has happened.’

Charming.

probably!

I'd thought that the usual way for the Chinese government to deal with more than 1 child was the loss of certain financial and social benefits.....didn't think they did this

Sounds like absolute crap - you can have more the one child, its just as TB stated that second one has no access to free education health care etc and the parents pay a fine based on their income. I have a couple friends here with a sibling. All born after the policy came out. China bashing is the new black.

The Associated Press reported on October 21 that government officials in China had taken a woman from her home during her eighth month of pregnancy and forcibly aborted her baby.The report cited a statement made by the woman’s husband, Luo Yanquan — identified as a construction worker — who said that his wife “was taken kicking and screaming from their home by more than a dozen people on October 10 and detained in a clinic for three days by family planning officials, then taken to a hospital and injected with a drug that killed her baby.â€

The AP report cited a statement from an official with the Siming district family planning commission, the agency that regulates pregnancies in Luo's neighborhood, who confirmed there was a record of Luo's wife, Xiao Aiying, undergoing an abortion recently but claimed that the procedure was voluntary. The same official, who refused to give his name, also claimed that Xiao was about six months pregnant at the time, instead of the eight months reported by the couple.

According to AP, the government official also asserted that Xiao's husband had approved the abortion, a claim Luo refutes. "I never signed anything. No one in our family did," he told AP by telephone from Xiamen. "I called the police but they said family planning issues weren't their responsibility. I want to sue, but lawyers I've asked here say they can't help me and the media won't report on our case."

Under China’s “one-child†policy, couples who have more than one child without government permission typically pay stringent fines, have their property seized, or lose their jobs. However, the government officially claims that forced abortions are banned.

(AP) A pregnant woman in south China was detained, beaten and forced to have an abortion just a month before her due date because the baby would have violated the country's one-child limit, her husband said Thursday.

Construction worker Luo Yanquan said his wife was taken kicking and screaming from their home by more than a dozen people on Oct. 10 and detained in a clinic for three days by family planning officials, then taken to a hospital and injected with a drug that killed her baby.

Family planning officials told the couple they weren't allowed to have the child because they already have a 9-year-old daughter, Luo said.

For the last 30 years, China has limited most urban couples to just one child in a bid to curb population growth and conserve its limited resources. China has the world's largest population, with more than 1.3 billion people. Couples that flout the rules face hefty fines, seizure of their property and loss of their jobs.

Regardless...inside or outside the womb that is cold blooded murder.

No excuses.

The amount of babies born pre 36 weeks I know that are alive and well probably outnumbers the 40+ weekers I know. For goodness sake my Mother in Law was born at 28 weeks in a country town in 1949 and survived!

When it is called abortion it give it some legitimacy. Lets call it murder shall we?

Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
Its not like the Media has never got it wrong before. This just sounds preposterous on so many levels.

The American and western media definitely tends to portray China in a very negative light. I can recognize this and realize it's gone much too far. However, China deserves to be vilified for their weapons deals to Sudan. They are following a pattern similar to that of what the US did in the Middle East throughout the 80's. It is disturbing that we can't learn from our mistakes as humans.

In all likelihood, this situation is probably blown out of proportion or there are circumstances we don't know about. If it is told correctly in detail it is sickening.

They deserve to be vilified for systematic gross abuse of basic human rights!

This abortion story is hardly something new or unusual!

Especially in occupied territories like Tibet this sort of thing has been going on for decades.

The world has mostly turned a blind eye to it because of the economic opportunities to be had in China.

If you're shocked by this story then you really haven't got much of a clue about human rights abuses in China. I'm not shocked at all.

I do get a little worked up about Chinese human rights abuses. I used to be the media officer for the Australia Tibet Council and the president of the Tibet Support Group at Melbourne Uni. I've personally met the Dalai Lama and spoken to dozens of Tibetan refugees. Some of the first hand stories I've listened to of torture and abuse make the abortion story pale in comparison. Many of the these stories were from Buddhist monks and nuns who seemed to be specially targeted by the occupying forces.

Frankly unless you're part of the richer elite I can't imagine China is that fun a place for any of the populace.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
I do get a little worked up about Chinese human rights abuses. I used to be the media officer for the Australia Tibet Council and the president of the Tibet Support Group at Melbourne Uni. I've personally met the Dalai Lama and spoken to dozens of Tibetan refugees. Some of the first hand stories I've listened to of torture and abuse make the abortion story pale in comparison. Many of the these stories were from Buddhist monks and nuns who seemed to be specially targeted by the occupying forces.
Frankly unless you're part of the richer elite I can't imagine China is that fun a place for any of the populace.

You really must catch up with my #2 Cub while he is in Niseko this time GN.
The time he spent in Nepal lives in a deep deep place within that rarely gets shared - mainly because most people don't have a clue. I reckon you would hit it off!

Another picture of the dark side of human nature.

That´s all.

But what do you do.

Most people are drones. Sheep. Look at religion or military.

Maybe we can do something about people who enjoys killing or taking their feeling on others.

A big picture. You have a nation with excessive population. Expendable population is another way to look at it.

Each family, is just like any family anywhere, just wanna be happy. Family values and stuff.

How to survive as a nation - food, education, welfare?

We have a population problem. Is there any humanane way to deal with this? In this case. we are seeing people´s behaviour on reinforcing their policy (pretty horrable, I say) but for the officials, they see it as undesireable elements.

So, would we be happier if a huge tsunami or a meteor strikes China or Africa and wipes off 100 million? Geez. that´s only 1% of their population so something. Hardly does anything to their might (if you believe population is power).

China and USA no different except USA has their version of BullShit to maintain, that they are a democratic nation. Another double standard. BUT- at least an individual can raise flags to say `Hey, something is seriously wrong here, we need to do something!´ And thing get done because if the one in power doesn´t, he loses his position.

Human rights is a great ideal. But to say one country abuses more than another, is like a dickhead telling off an asshole.

In the end , it will just be `We are not gonna put up with this´ but we still ignor it if it isn´t our priority. Just talk no action.

Originally Posted By: Go Native

GN, likewise, this is a touchy issue for me. I am fairly ignorant when it comes to Tibetan issues. I am aware of the struggle of Tibet, but not much more than that.

What strikes a cord with me is the backing of the government in Sudan with weapons that obviously make their way to Darfur from Khartoum. Having known several people (some of them good friends) from the region of Darfur and southern Sudan, this sickens me. Some of the struggles the people I have met went through are just incredible. It's amazing what people can do when they dehumanize others. The amount of times I heard rape and decapitation in their stories was very sickening.

But like Jynxx said a lot of people are sheep. They don't ever see these people, Sudan is never shown in the news here. It's such a day to day routine here in life that it is extremely hard to convert thinking to people across the world (other than the ones wrongly portrayed and with anger and attached to terrorism).

It takes imagery to get a reaction. We have adapted to being visual in order to spur emotion. Even that is becoming desensitized thanks to people looking for donations on TV and flashing starving babies over and over.

Afghan-girl.jpg

Even this picture spurred a ton of interest in Afghanistan. Unfortunately not enough though :(
offtopic