Last night the rain turned into snow in Munich. I knew it was snowing up there so we went up today. Wanted to see how Pete was doing. Caught him on the phone on the way up, he was coming down heading for a massage smile

It was noon but plenty of freshies. Didn´t know but today was a bavarian holiday so we saw quite a few people on piste. We went off where there was nobody.

If the temp were a few degrees lower overnight, it would have been great powder. Still, was soft enough to land on my face.

So white I couldn´t see anything. I should wear my goggles.

Jynxx_39.JPG

Jynxx_44.JPG

Jynxx_45.JPG

Jynxx_46.JPG

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Nearly a month had passed without snowboarding, missing out on one really good occasion sadface but finally got a great day in. It turned out to be a bluebird day without wind!

What was special was the snow. I have never had this kind of powder here at Spitzingsee. Dry powder that doesn´t stick. At the end of the day, nothing was wet, and snow just dusted off our eqipment! It was like light sand but fluffy at the same time. It was really cold. -9C in the valley, and probably about -12~ -14C upon the mountain. I suppose the cold temp had a lot to do with it. Our fingers were so cold!

Jynxx_57.jpg

Jynxx_58.jpg

Jynxx_59.jpg

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthread...html#Post355854

The place is Spitzingsee, Anyone interested, MikePow´s excellent TR here...

I really wish you guys some really good days, like NOW !

Had 3 physio, lots of massage from Mrs. in the last 3 weeks and can still feel the nerve in the lower spine but I couldn´t wait any more.

Ended up going for it for 4 and a half hours top to bottom.

We swapped boards today, Mrs. had my Burner and she cranked it up.

It took me a week to get used to that board. Quite amazing she does it in a day. I suppose boarding since 14 helps. She declared she wants to keep that board. Looks like I´m going to be on the new Radon.

Found out a few things today.

1) Where the bindings are set on the board really affects float in the pow.

2) The Radon has a swallow tail and it does make a big difference that you can sink the tail. Even when your nose digs you cal still recover it. Also the ability to slow down when you are straight lining a steep by sinking the tail.

3) Having a wide nose and mid width waist does give you more float in powder. The ability to curve is not affected as long as it is not pinned (tail is narrower than nose) too much. I would say that over 20 mm you will feel the tail slide in certain condition (icy, fast)

The Radon worked great in carving piste because the tail width and nose width are the same. Only problem was:

4) Wide nose board are ok on piste as long as the piste is not bumpy. The width of the nose does pick up the bumps and at high speed with a longer nose (because of setback) it shakes you a bit (nose wobble)

5) A small lightweight guy can handle a midwidth board in pow and groomed piste but it can be a bit of hard work ... Got tired and piste got cut up on really hardpack later.

Hey, if you ever get to Germany, Beware! Under the lifts amongst the trees, there can be stumps hidden just under the surface!

They don´t cut trees close to the ground and logs lying around.

I really should have went on last Friday. Instead went X´mas shopping. So having missed another oppotunity, I was feeling pretty shitty this morning but we went anyway - we won´t be going for the next 2 weeks while most people are on holidays.

After the weekend, we weren´t expecting much. The high wind had blown all the fresh snow, and everything was tracked out. Although, surprisingly, it wasn´t too bumpy. It was hard packed, almost icy in the morning. In the afternoon, it became softer. The snow was wet, almost spring like. Still, like in the pics below, no body there !

Today was a bit crazy for me. On my first turn I fell and slipped 50m down on a steep. I tried to stop the slide but the edge just bounced. Longest slide I ever had.

Then, the first T bar I caught (just after that) half way up, I went over the side and fell into the forest. doh

The snow was deep in the forest! The trees are just too tight to board. Somehow I didn´t hit any trees and climbed 5m up and out, to a pair of big surprised eyes.

I went down to the bottom and tried again nearly falling down 3 times till I finally got to the top. pwhew...

Jynxx_60.JPG

Jynxx_61.JPG

Jynxx_62.JPG

• 1 month later...

After a month of no snowboarding and slowly slipping into depression, we went out yesterday (Fri) after seeing snow fall for the first time since 2nd Jan. We didn´t expect much with only 10cm new cover and the official snow report at Spitingsee go from 25/20 to 30/25 cm.

We were surprised. The temp was low and the snow was good at the top. Since the top double chairlift had been closed for the whole week, and few were there at that perticular spot when we arrived at 11, the place was shin/knee deep.

Face shots. Big fast turns, big tail spray, coundn´t see biggrin

The really steep bits were shallow and the board kept hitting the bottom.

Feel really good.

Excellent. Need to return to that area with great snow. So much potential.

Currently in Popova Shapka, Macedonia. 20-40cm overnight depending on aspect and wind deposit. Snowing lightly now but more due. Great first day smile

Cool. we´d love to do that!

by the way, there´s a new double lift in place of a T-bar (was one of the steepest of it´s kind) since last time you were there. The one that goes to the top of Roßkopf at Spitingsee.

Taubenstein (the one you went for a wander) hasn´t opened yet. Waiting and have my eye on it. wink

Consistent snow fall over the weekend and Monday on south German Alps.

Tuesday - good snow but got tracked out after 40min. People there early on a weekday. Bit unusual. Bumpy.

Today Thursday - Snowed yesterday. Foggy with breaks when you can see where you are going. Not too many people. Shin deep powder. Light and easy. Made lots of fresh tracks.

Yep,

usually glacier resorts 3000m

or local ones 1500-1800m

We give it a miss on opportunities to go touring with parents. 4 hrs walk for 30min descent doesn´t appeal at the moment. Trying to get as much Powder as possible using resort lifts.