Been a bit of a bummer of a year for me with one reason and another but it looks like we are going to be able to visit Japan this coming winter again.

banner

Question is where to go. We're still crunching on that one.

Looks like we might have up to 2.5 weeks. Thinking of maybe checking out somewhere like Kyoto for a bit, or even Hiroshima but that seems a long way down. Whats the journey like from somewhere like Hiroshima up to Nagano area thereabouts? Do-able?

smile

Creek Boy should be able to give you the gen on that, think he lived there.

**Edit** Just had a look on a map......wow Hiroshima really s quite a bit away!!!!!!

Google maps says its a 10hr drive from Hiroshima to Hakuba. Guess you could stop off in Osaka and or Kyoto along the way.

Hi

It's not close. But there's a nice fast train if you are doing things that way. If I were you though I'd stick with Kyoto/Nara if you are coming to ski mainly, it would just cut too much time out coming down here.

thumbsup

Yeah, I think Hiroshima is an interesting place to visit and if you have the time you definitely should but don't drive all the way there. Take the shinkansen... if for example you were in Kyoto you could realistically do a day trip to Hiroshima by train.

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Yeah, I think Hiroshima is an interesting place to visit and if you have the time you definitely should but don't drive all the way there. Take the shinkansen... if for example you were in Kyoto you could realistically do a day trip to Hiroshima by train.

How many days do you want to spend on the slopes and how many days do you want to sightsee. Then you'll know if you have enough time to go or not. Hiroshima is worth a one night stay, but not a day trip out of Kansai.

The Shink from Osaka to Hiro is about 3 beers, or 1:45. Granted, I drink slowly. So, just looking at transportation by shink to and from you are looking at 4 hours. Getting to Miyajima by JR to Miyajima is about 30 mins, the boat is another 15 on top of that (plus the wait). I hate traveling rushed like that as you dont get to get a feel for the place at all and you're often tired, so you dont get to enjoy the place that much. Walking around Miyajima is worth the good part of half a day. Especially the inner island and far side there are some pretty cool old houses and streets back there.

The Peace Park and museum are interesting. Just save a bit of time before eating after as some of the pics are horrific.

Best thing about Hiroshima - Okonomiyaki and Bishu Nabe!!

EDIT:

I love once plans are made because any and all BS that comes up from now and then can generally be overlooked as you know you're going to have an epic trip party

Kyoto isn't crowded in winter, so its a pretty good time to go. The town center is little different to anywhere else, but there are lots of things worth seeing around the fringes and some top notch tucker.