• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

It sucks that the bears had to be shot but from my understanding, Shari (the city where this happened) is very near the Shiretoko peninsula which has a massive bear population mostly owing to the fact that it's a unesco world heritage site and therefore protected. Once these critters start heading into town serious decisions have to be made... just relocating them is sometimes not an option. Those were pretty damn big bears as well... bet they were pretty tasty!! razz

Anyone else see those images tonight on the news of bears walking in the main street in a few places. Those up in Hokkaido were big buggers. The ones in Fukushima 2 baby bears and mum.

Mamabear. Take care of your kids!

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
It sucks that the bears had to be shot but from my understanding, Shari (the city where this happened) is very near the Shiretoko peninsula which has a massive bear population mostly owing to the fact that it's a unesco world heritage site and therefore protected. Once these critters start heading into town serious decisions have to be made... just relocating them is sometimes not an option. Those were pretty damn big bears as well... bet they were pretty tasty!! razz

There doesn't seem to ever be hard decisions made up this way about bears. They get near town they kill them, always. I've never heard of relocation ever being an option unless it's to stock some pitiful bear pen at one of the disgusting places that pass for zoos in this country. In this region they actually pay Y50,000 for a confirmed bear kill...