my mate just changed his UK licence over to a Japanese one, he forged a few letters from his University to "prove" that he had been in the UK for the last 3 months.....they swallowed it as well and issued him the licence

Actually, it doesn't have to be for the 'last 3 months' just that you have three months driving experience in your home country and that you have a valid license. When I wanted to change my license from a Canadian one to a Japanese one my Canadian license had actually expired... so, the next time I was home I renewed my license in Canada (was only there about 10 days) and got a drivers abstract saying when I got my first license and that worked fine.

Originally Posted By: sunrise
no infringements so it should be straightforward.

I've never been able to figure out the speeding thing. So they do have speed cameras here. And 'stealth' too! Driving on the shutoko no-one is going 60, but I've never seen a cop chasing anyone....

I have seen a fair few police with radar guns.

And on the expressways there's a fair few undercover cops doing their thing. Always good to have people going faster than you.
Originally Posted By: Error404
Always good to have people going faster than you.

Yeah I love them! I'll let them get 500m to 1km ahead of me and sit on the same speed they are. If you notice them suddenly brake you have plenty of time to react and not get caught yourself.

LOL, not far from where I live there is a section of highway that often have police doing just that... one guy with a radar gun up the hill a bit and a bunch of cops 1 or 2 kms down the road waving people over... followed by a bunch of cops on motorcycles.

I found the location of a big cop shop about 10 min drive away, so that's where I'll wind up going - though I haven't received any renewal mail yet and it's due on the 23rd... Might have to call them up if I don't get anything soon.

You should have definitely gotten something by now... it's a postcard rather than a letter. I lost mine when I went but it wasn't a problem at all. Just show them your current almost expired license and they'll work it out easily enough! wink

Nailed twice (well, actually a few more times but these were the two biggies), one for 50,000 and once for 80,000 (lost license for two months and had to go to bad-boy classes twice that second time).

That was a long while back, though. I've calmed down quite a bit since.

Where does the money go from speeding tickets?

It must cost a lot to pay 8 cops to catch speeders, but I guess it is very cost effective because they can catch people pretty much without pause. At least 90% of people go more then 10% over the speed limit on the highway.

Both times I was nailed there were at least 10 others stopped. Police use expressway parking areas as corrals and nab dozens of cars.

Almost every year during the seasonal ``driving safety campaigns'' some high police official gets caught either speeding or driving under the influence, and I must admit to always feeling somewhat avenged.

• 2 weeks later...

Update - turns out that as a first time renewer I had to go to a license office and sit thru a 2 hour lecture including a 20 min (or so) video. I sneakily wore my stealth in-ear phones connected to hidden iTouch which made it more bearable, though there were points where I felt like I wasn't going to be able to stay awake!