Japan imposes 40% cigarette tax increase

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smartarse GG

You haven't been to yurrop recently.

Hoodies, litter, graffiti, dog shit everywhere.

I don't live in the city. Here in hicksville country, dog owners walk their dogs and clear up the shit.

You're avoiding the issue. Heavy smoking Japanese population outlive non-smoking western wowsers. Clearly, you are right, and adopting your standards will reduce Japanese life expentency.

You are right TB.

People take their scoops and bags with them for the doggy poos.

It very much seems to be the done thing now and anyone not doing it is frowned on.

My area back home has quite a lot of special doggy poo bins around the place as well and our cleared our regularly.

Can't remember the last time I saw doggy poo on a pavement when I am back home.

I dunno about dog poo but the bit about smoking is right. It doesn't kill anywhere near as many Japanese as it should according to Western thinking.

Its like the French eating all those "fattening" foods and not being fat.

Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
I dunno about dog poo but the bit about smoking is right. It doesn't kill anywhere near as many Japanese as it should according to Western thinking.

Its like the French eating all those "fattening" foods and not being fat.

To be fair with regards to both cultures - in France, the fattening foods they eat, cheese, chocolate and pastries, are offset by coffee, red wine, and plenty of sea food.

In Japan, plenty of sea food, vegetables and low fat food has given them both an offset against smoking.

its not as if Japanese people are living long BECAUSE of their smoking habit, its more in-spite of their dirty filthy smoking habit. As Rob says, their diet is the biggest factor there and with the import of nasty, fatty, fast food, western food that is changing too.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
its not as if Japanese people are living long BECAUSE of their smoking habit, its more in-spite of their dirty filthy smoking habit. As Rob says, their diet is the biggest factor there and with the import of nasty, fatty, fast food, western food that is changing too.
Can I also add the amount of walking and stairs to that list of reasons Japanese have good health.
We are too used to driving to our destination and getting a parking spot pretty much at the door, then taking the escalator/travelator or lift to the 1st floor.
I walked and walked in Japan. And felt good for it.

I think it goes to show though that the evils of smoking are possibly just a little overstated? Balanced with a good diet and lifestyle smoking isn't really all that bad for you at all!! razz lol

but it goes back to the age old crux of the problem.....smoking doesn't just affect the smoker who has chosen to smoke, but also affects the non-smoker, who for whatever reason (be it health or because of the smell etc) has chosen not to smoke. Its the taking away of the non-smokers choice that i have problem with. If people want to smoke, then sure thats up to them but I don't want to smoke with them. So sensible segregation through enclosed smoking rooms etc is fine by me

Doubt anyone has an issue with that TB. Here in Japan though that, as you know, isn't the norm at this stage in many enclosed areas like restaurants and bars. Maybe one day in the distant future but not anytime soon. The whole argument about it being inconsiderate to smoke where people are eating, drinking, etc just doesn't hold up here because it's not considered inconsiderate. It's still a socially acceptable thing to light up in a restaurant or bar. That's the only point I've tried to get across. All the foreign views on smoking aren't going to change the situation here anytime soon.

Dunno GN, I think change is closer than you think. Like I said before, the Kanagawa government last year said that they were going to bring in legislaton to ban smoking from public places, it hasn't happened yet of course, but the noises are there. The beach this year was also deemed "Smoke-free", again I don't know how they were able to police that and if they were successfull but again the noises against smoking are there and they are getting that little bit louder.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Dunno GN, I think change is closer than you think. Like I said before, the Kanagawa government last year said that they were going to bring in legislaton to ban smoking from public places, it hasn't happened yet of course, but the noises are there. The beach this year was also deemed "Smoke-free", again I don't know how they were able to police that and if they were successfull but again the noises against smoking are there and they are getting that little bit louder.

there a lots of restaurants in kanagawa that are non-smoking now too, in fact they proudly put the sticker on the door too.

Sounds like Kanagawa is being proactive in this. Haven't heard anything like that up this way. I have no problem with banning smoking from public places but still I think if you looked at the percentage of restaurants and bars in this country that are smoke-free it wouldn't even come to a 10th of 1 percent. A long way to go yet I'd say. As I said earlier the main impetus elsewhere to ban smoking in public places has been the risk of litigation. I don't see that happening here anytime soon.