Jaffa cakes. But are they cakes?

Jaffa-Cakes-006.jpg

Appearance:

Seen from above, a chocolate circle 54mm in diameter, covering an area of approximately 8.5 square centimetres.

I'm familiar with the Jaffa Cake – a great British biscuit. Well, not everyone thinks they're great. Some people find the chocolate-and-orange combination quite disgusting.

A divisive British biscuit, then. And it's not a biscuit; it's a tiny cake.

Cake, biscuit – who cares? HM Revenue & Customs. Cakes are zero-rated for VAT, but chocolate-covered biscuits aren't. In 1991 McVitie's went to court to defend the Jaffa Cake's non-biscuit status.

Whatever it is, at least it's British. For now, perhaps.

What do you mean? United Biscuits, the company that makes Jaffa Cakes, is in talks with the Chinese conglomerate Bright Food about a possible takeover worth £2.5bn.

Another venerable British brand snapped up by foreigners! Not just one. Other United Biscuits brands include Jacob's, Carr's, KP Nuts, Twiglets, Penguins and Mini Cheddars.

First Cadburys and now this! Where will it end? Relax, Angry in Amersham. United Biscuits is already owned by foreigners. Two sets, in fact: the US private equity group Blackstone and the French firm PAI bought it jointly in 2006. Now they want to sell.

Why? Is the company doing really badly or something? No, not at all. Revenues are up, and earnings before interest and tax are up. There is the matter of debt, of course, and a pension deficit approaching . . .

Sorry, are you trying to talk to me about business? La la la la la la la la . . . Anyway, the deal isn't done yet. Lots of other big food groups have expressed an interest in United Biscuits, including Kellogg's, Kraft and Nestlé.

Do say: "Such an investment would create a brilliant opportunity for British brands to expand into the burgeoning Chinese snack sector."

Don't say: "If we left out the orange goop in the middle, we could probably stick a fortune in there."

I used to find that the proper ones often had bone dry crumbly sponge, but the cheapo supermarket own brand ones would be moist and far more pleasant.

During Maggies time, United Biscuits were the largest contributor to the Tory Party. Among official donors anyway.

Interesting background to names sake ...

I used to like it but now I find the choco and filling are not that yum anymore.

Is it me, or it's something to do with the ownership change to the company? Used to like Mcvities but now it's just pricy.

Arnotts of OZ used to taste better I reckon! Especially the Ginger Nuts. The choc quality has gone down, too, on Tim Tams.

Know wot you mean by some people don't like orange and choc combo.

I like orange peels coated in choc (as long as the quality is there!)

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Tim Tams are a poor man's Penguin

Penguins have gone to the toilet in recent years, I refuse to eat them now, even if they are fresh from the fridge.

Tim tams for life! Deforestation to produce more palm oil to make more tim tams is almost worth it.
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
dunno about Penguin's of late, haven't had many the last 4 years but I have eaten a few Tim Tams since coming over here. There ok but not as good as Penguins (at least the ones I remember)

Actually, I prefer the Tim Tams or whatever they are called. Chewy bits.