• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: boardbaka
they just put up the price to around 400yen on average across the board Minty- but no sepec filts here
I guess you went to Lincoln ?

1/3 to 1/4 of the cost of what a pack in Aus will set you back today I think!!
Glad I gave up 11 yrs ago!
I would be hemorrhaging money by now. All that spare cash just gets sucked into snow chasing these days.

I would like to see some of those glass walled smoking cubicles in Oz.

Recent trips to the Airport have seen me shake my head in dismay - there are big painted no smoking zones around all the doors, but there is this huddle of poor donwtrodden smokers in between the two door no go zones all smoking up big plumes that are blowing across the doorways anyway - and floating across the path of every person dragging their luggage along the path.

Why not give them a nice enclosed room with some seats and plants and out of the weather - and keep the whole airport thoroughfare area smoke free. Japan has actually got it sussed well in that regard.

I remember once at Narita seeing one of those smoking rooms.... chocca full, absolutely no room. It was curious seeing about 50 people standing room only puffing away with a cloud of smoke making visibility poor. Quite funny. But a good idea to have them for sure I reckon.

It is kinda funny I agree Ski -the thing about smoking for those who have never indulged is it is SO hard to stop - it`s the hardest thing in the world - people go on an on about smokers having no will power etc - v easy to get hooked I think I`ll be in for a shock when I leave Japan with the attitudes towards it elsewhere - The industry though however you feel is here to stay though I think in Japan the Government is one of if not the biggest owner of JT.

Originally Posted By: SKI
I remember once at Narita seeing one of those smoking rooms.... chocca full, absolutely no room. It was curious seeing about 50 people standing room only puffing away with a cloud of smoke making visibility poor. Quite funny. But a good idea to have them for sure I reckon.

Yep, so long as I don't have to share a seat with any of them. The stink hangs in the clothing, and I am VERY MUCH averse to it. BTW, I am a reformed smoker, and the smell now makes me sick. (A previous supervisor used to call the smokers at our work as "smulkers" - those who skulk about smoking.)
Originally Posted By: boardbaka
It is kinda funny I agree Ski -the thing about smoking for those who have never indulged is it is SO hard to stop - it`s the hardest thing in the world - people go on an on about smokers having no will power etc - v easy to get hooked I think I`ll be in for a shock when I leave Japan with the attitudes towards it elsewhere - The industry though however you feel is here to stay though I think in Japan the Government is one of if not the biggest owner of JT.

Personally I have found beer harder to give up.

Some people can take it or leave it and don't find it hard to go from a pack a day to non smoking. But then there are the rest of us, who more than a decade later still salivate for a ciggie after a few drinks, when others start lighting up.

I also find it offensive to sit next to a heavy smoker with that aged stink of smoke in thier clothes and hair and on their breath....but I still find the fresh waft of smoke tempting, even though I know it is stinky and toxic. That is addiction for ya.

I consider myself like an alcoholic with cigarettes.

I don't partake, but I am still a smoker.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Some people can take it or leave it and don't find it hard to go from a pack a day to non smoking. But then there are the rest of us, who more than a decade later still salivate for a ciggie after a few drinks, when others start lighting up.

I also find it offensive to sit next to a heavy smoker with that aged stink of smoke in thier clothes and hair and on their breath....but I still find the fresh waft of smoke tempting, even though I know it is stinky and toxic. That is addiction for ya.

I consider myself like an alcoholic with cigarettes.
I don't partake, but I am still a smoker.

Those people that tell you that are few and far between MB -or should I say the people that tell you that are everywhere but those that can refrain one night then smoke a deck the next are scarce- that feeling I know and others have tell me that it NEVER goes away

Pie Eater - I have got my sense of smell back in all it's glory - that is one of the bonuses (and maybe downsides at times) of quitting.

I never used to smoke inside my house, or inside my car anyway - it was a purely outside activity for me (except for a few very brief periods after leaving home, before having kids). And I am a daily hair washer anyway - so the ciggie smoke would really only be held in my hair from that day ...so I was never too bad. But I have extended family whose clothing in the wardrobe, and bedding, EVERYTHING reek with that stale cigarette smell. It is truly horrid.

Originally Posted By: JA
Originally Posted By: SKI

Yep, so long as I don't have to share a seat with any of them. The stink hangs in the clothing, and I am VERY MUCH averse to it. BTW, I am a reformed smoker, and the smell now makes me sick. (A previous supervisor used to call the smokers at our work as "smulkers" - those who skulk about smoking.)

smile My boss calls us the smoulder-ers. Smoke is billowing out of us and we might combust one day!