Jynxxx and his pet rats in the General Snow Talk forum got me wondering.

I have heard of pet rats before (never could get myself enthused, but that's a whole other thing), saw a pic of a guy with a pet lion, heard of pet pigs (the miniature ones that'd be no good for pork). Oh, and the snakes which are just plain wrong!

Wondered what else people have had/heard of.

I've seen a few people walking around with wild boars on leashes here. When I asked one of the owners about his 'pet' he told me that it acted quite similarly to a dog... it even played fetch. Up close those boars are really nasty looking and stinky but they taste great in nabe!

Those are the famous New York sewer alligators, not crocs. They used to sell baby alligators to visiting tourists in Florida. I'm sure many of them did get flushed, or dumped down sewer gratings, and quickly became rat food.

My younger brother used to rent a room in his house to a buddy who kept two good-sized boas (or pythons, I never looked closely) in a cage maybe 4x3 feet and 5 feet tall. The wooden back of the cage (front and sides were some fine mesh wire) was lined with Playboy/Penthouse/etc centerfolds. This waa a rather strange dude, and I was glad when my brother told me he'd moved elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: Slippery Jim
Those are the famous New York sewer alligators, not crocs. They used to sell baby alligators to visiting tourists in Florida. I'm sure many of them did get flushed, or dumped down sewer gratings, and quickly became rat food.

Was just going to say this...

Someone was arrested for cruelty to animals in my home area back in NH. Apparently they had over 200 different lizards and an alligator in the bathtub. Don't know how anyone can put up with an alligators smell for that long.
Originally Posted By: MitchPee
Originally Posted By: Slippery Jim

Was just going to say this...

Someone was arrested for cruelty to animals in my home area back in NH. Apparently they had over 200 different lizards and an alligator in the bathtub. Don't know how anyone can put up with an alligators smell for that long.

I saw a film about the crocs in the sewers grew so big, they started eating people and busting up the sewer system.

mmmmmm....I'd love to eat that!!

I used to have a tortoise when I was small.

There is a guy goes around Fujisawa with pet Rabbits, which aren't that strange, except these are also on leashes. He carries them around in the basket of his bike

Wait. I get them up!

By the way, I can sort of understand boars being good pets.

We go and see the wild boars in the forest a lot, and some of them are really gentle and some are nasty ... different personalities. But, they are really food orientated and pack animals with constant nagging about their pack order. They like to dig a lot. If that´s what you want with your garden.

They have very human like eyes, and do communicate thru them. So far, it´s all about food or they want to be scratched. They get very vocal.

They have a strong smell and the rats don´t like it. They smell preditor and will attack my hand. My rats might turn out to be good guard rats!