Was checking out the Piste Map after going looking for that silly rope tow from Hanazono to answer TJ's Surface Lift thread and I noticed that the slope down into the Gondola base *Ni-kabe* is listed as black.... I always thought that was red!

Has it changed?

Side note - we used to call the wall to the left of the Super Course, on the left riding up Center 4, Ni Kabe...so many name changes who can keep up.

I always thought that was like a green MB...course I dunno colors so prolly the last person to ask. There is that one section that has two quasi rollovers which have a decent pitch to em. But not not even 15 meters worth.

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
Side note - we used to call the wall to the left of the Super Course, on the left riding up Center 4, Ni Kabe...so many name changes who can keep up.

I always thought that was like a green MB...course I dunno colors so prolly the last person to ask. There is that one section that has two quasi rollovers which have a decent pitch to em. But not not even 15 meters worth.

lol Green! CB you legend wink

yes that is exactly the bit I am talking about - it is only a really short stretch of steep pitch - catches a LOT of people though that bit - I have seen a fair few cartwheels and more than one or two dummy spits.

I was sure that I was told it was an intermediate/red piste in the beginning - which is why my eyes nearly popped out of my head to see if marked as black.

What does Ni Kabe mean anyway?

nah...

If you jump off the Gondola at King Bell ... head down the green of 11

-> corner onto green 15 past the gates to Konayuki (16) [nice little bottleneck that can be!]

-> then onto the red 14 - the bottom part of Kokutai

and then....

**hello... see that little bit of black **

then back into the green's of 20 (path to the king area, or opening into the Gondola base).

As I said before I was sure that was red from kokutai until it flattens out under the holiday pair lift ... but I have been wrong before.

Originally Posted By: thursday
I thought you were talking about the bottom of 31. Which is an absolute disgrace if you're taking children down.

The kids would freak on the shaded melted and then the shaded ice.

Dunno about 31 ... only done it once.
I always get dragged by the nostrils into Strawberries instead.

Btw MB, the surface lift you were looking for. It's right around 10 I think? I went on it once with some Aussies I befriended while there. We took it head over to the waterfall area.

There's also one I saw that was in either Niseko Village or Annupuri, but I'm not remembering which one it was. To bad they don't label them on the online map. I don't remember if they're on the physical trail map?

I recall Ni-kabe being black when I was there last season. It was all mogully and icy hard.

I'm really surprised there isn't an intermediate run from the top of the gondy back to the base - there's intermediate stuff from the top down to the King area. To get back to the gondola base, you pretty much have to take a black at some point, run the easy green (18) all the way down, or take that flat cutoff (21) that goes through the tunnel above the park.

mmmm...yes - when it is sheet ice it certainly feels black wink

But you are right - other than that tunnel there is no other (easier) way down to the Gondola. I saw a few people doing it on their butt's last Jan.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Originally Posted By: Tex
Yep - but the actual difficulty assigned on some of them are questionable

Isn't that the same as can be said anywhere...

True highfive
Originally Posted By: call me beefcake
Are the course colours same in Japan as other countries?

Japan is different from the US. The intermediate courses in Japan are red and in the States they're blue. Canada is the same as the US. I've never ridden in Europe so I'm not sure how it is there.

It´s

blue - beginner´s

red - intermediate

black

in that order, but most of them are red and that covers all, it seems. Blue is really flat and often just a short steep section can make a red be describled black. Or, a red can be hardcore.

Dotted red is off piste.

in New Zealand we have below, so kinda different again...

green = Easiest

Most suitable for Beginner snow users

blue = More Difficult Terrain

Most suitable for Intermediate snow users

black = Most Difficult Terrain

Most suitable for Advanced snow users

double black = Extreme Terrain

Suitable for Expert only snow users