A few times for a few days or one big long holiday

Hi folks

Just wondering what you would recommend for someone like myself and indeed for my lady who will be skiing with me this next winter. She is still really beginner, though not total beginner, but I'd class myself as intermediate.

I'm wondering whether it might be better to get out there maybe 3 or 4 times for 3 or 4 days each time, or to go for one big long holiday and fit it all into that. I can see us getting real tired with that though, but presume that the intense sessions will really help us improve.

Any thoughts on that and what you have done?

Cheers

Dave

Hey Dave!

Personally I prefer one long shot of mountain time. I find that by combining mountain time with onsen time I don't get as tired as I would imagine. Another reason I prefer to do it that way is that I can optimize my time on the hill in the best conditions possible. When it snows like crazy I can go hard and when things aren't looking too promising I can take a little break or just hit a few runs. Whenever I book short holidays I feel like I'm at the whim of the weather...

Another consideration would be price. If you are staying in one area for a longer time it's possible to get cheaper accommodation rates as well as mountain passes.

I agree with BM. If you are coming all the way from the UK, you'll want to get max value for your money (assuming riding is the main reason for coming). Also you will improve very quickly if you are riding every day for a longer time. Onsens are your friends for combatting fatigue and body aches!

I'm presuming you would take your short trips in Europe, or a long trip to Japan wink Short trips to Japan would be crazy!

My 2c - I was taught to ski last year, and I found that one week of intensive skiing got me onto advanced slopes (but definitely not onto expert, and I didn't feel awesome on the advanced runs, needed more time for that) If I had had two weeks or more I think I would have gotten confident on advanced, and might have tried a little bit of easier off trail stuff, and I would have found it easier to get back into the groove this season.

I don't know if this is common or not for older people to do (I know it's really common for kids) but have either of you tried skiing a run without poles? I find that is a pretty sureproof way to gain confidence and improve your ability (In fact I had my first day of the season yesterday and was bailing left right and centre until I held my poles in one hand and concentrated on my legs and feet)

Also it stops you from acting like a washing machine when you're turning so your shoulders go more in line with your hips as they should be.

Take short trips to Europe and make a longer one to Japan.

We are in Europe and never on the mountain on the weekends, so it's mostly 4 days or 5 days if it's powder on the last day. We are happy to be boarding for 4~5 hrs a day.