I've borrowed a kids snowboard, boots, and helmet, and I want to take H11 out for a first crack at boarding tomorrow. But is it crowded as all hell or what?

If you went out on Friday, could you tell me if it was busy or not? Cheers...

I was in Gunma today - the 2 resorts I saw - not at all busy. not the biggest of places, but if they are anything to go by, you shouldn't be too badly off.

Went to Snow Par Ogna Hotaka in Gunma for the first time yesterday. Crowd wise it was very good for a first day of a long weekend. My buddy and I were kinda freaked when we saw the packed parking lot at Miyoshi PA earlier around 4:30am though. Most of the runs were gutted out by noon but I never had to wait in line. \:\) I`ve gotta say the previously held image I had for that place went straight out the window only after a few hours of boarding there. I had thought the place was tame and family oriented but they actually had a number of challenging runs. Ogna Hotaka also has plenty of ungroomed area you can just go off around the middle part of the mountain. The area hadn`t received any serious amount of snowfall recently(sunny everyday)and I was really worried when I arrived in the morning but I was more than happy to discover there was a full hillful of leftover, untracked white stuff waiting for me(albeit just a bit on the heavy side). And man, I really hit the jackpot when I went to the very top of the ski area...there was powder, REAL POW off to the side in the trees! I thought I`d died and gone to heaven! \:D Being able to glide through light fluffy pow in that part of Gunma around this time of the year was such a pleasant surprise...more than anything I could`ve asked for. So Ocean I hope you had a good time with H11 at Kurumayama Kogen today. How was the snow? My buddy and I are off to Echo Valley tonight...hope their new board park is tight.

I'll have a journal posted soon about our afternoon, but don't go anywhere around here with high hopes of good snow. It's concrete with sugar on top! I hope the park is alright though...

userpic5222pic43e7c5cc7830c5.jpg

Fattwins, after the snowboarding lesson at Kurumayama, we had a quick typing lesson too. Teaching the lad to board was more fun than I expected.

5 years old seems a good age to get started, for him anyway.

great picture - what kind of progress did he make ? did he have fun ? that board is huuuge!

in anycase, I think it's a healthy father-son thing, and he will be rippin' past you before you know it. kids just adapt to physical environments so much quicker.

Yeah, we both had a lot of fun. There's a report on my page and another pic. I can see that we might be going tomorrow too.

I couldn't believe how quick he got up and running. I guess he doesn't have very far to get up.

Kurumayama wasn't very crowded, and this particular slope only had a couple of other folk on it. Snow was godawful though...

read yer page - I would have guessed that a kid would not be so interested in turning, at least not until he reaches breakneck speed and needs to turn before he hits something.

when I learned to ski, I didn't care about turning, that only came when I got older. I just wanted to have fun and go fast.

but all of that said, looking back I wish I had learned better technique when I began. I think I would have progressed faster and been able to navigate the terrain with more speed.

But skiing is harder for kids than snowboarding - I have seen little kids blasting off jumps and ripping through trees. I think the motion requires less muscle development - skiing is hard work all around.

In any case I hope you keep going with H11 and that he has fun - It will get you out there more ;\)

Ahh...how cute! And H11`s got real bindings on too. \:\) My friend`s kids(skiing)don`t particularly care for turning either. Ocean you were right about "sugar on concrete." 185cm of powder snow my ass! Everything turned to crap by 11am at Echo Valley yesterday. mad.gif The only thing left to do was to hit the park(very surprisingly decent), banged up right knee and all. :p