I am just wondering who out there has been a victim of theft?

I can't wait until I move to Japan because I am sick of the backwards ass people in this country. Since I have lived in Utah I have had my laptop, Ipod, longboard, headphones, and now bike stolen. Luckily it wasn't my good bike, but the bike I use to commute/travel around on. Still paid a pretty penny for it and it really leaves me in an ideological struggle knowing that the person that clipped my bike from the lock was probably someone in abject poverty that I always try to defend. It's like the old saying "never bite the hand that feeds you"

I realize theft happens in Japan, but I have a strong feeling that had I been there with these items, they wouldn't have disappeared. Before you say that I am reluctant with my things please note that someone broke into my house to steal my ipod and laptop. I locked my bike very well and they cut the lock while I was in class. My longboard and headphones were taken while I was at home by someone that must have been close to me.

angry thumbsdown end of my rant

Sorry to hear that Mitch.

Yes we have been victims of theft before.

1 Break and Enter: We were pretty poor at the time and about 8.75months preggers with #1. They tipped the packed maternity suitcase and packed baby clothes suitcase onto the floor to take the cases to carry off their ill gotten gains. Dirty footprints on my baby clothes was probably the most distressing thing. Only valuable item taken was the video player.

1 'disappearance' of the gold watch my parents gave me for my 21st from the share house we had with friends. Moved into our own place soon after because of the loss of trust.

1 airline theft of a suitcase that contained all the expensive stuff - including video camera and my SUUNTO watch!

2 home invasions: First they smashed the glass door trying to jimmy it which woke us. Papa chased them down the street with a baseball bat. My car was running in the garage loaded with stuff we had stored in there (in the middle of selling and had 'downsized' to make it easier to sell. Scary thing was they had done the circuit of the house trying each window - little holes on all the screens and scratches on all the window frames - even on our 4 kids bedrooms where they slept with their lights ON! ohhh...and Papa's car was a Lexus with a sunroof at the time and they not only smashed the window to get in, but they also jumped up and down on the roof and sunroof!!

The second they followed me home driving Papa's new Porsche 4WD from the store (he was laid up with a busted knee and I took it out every few days to keep the battery OK). Came back a few days later at night and broke in to get the keys (it wont start without them) - and took two of my handbags while they were at it - cash/cards/etc. They used the car for 2 weeks to do ram raids around Perth. Police finally nabbed the driver because he adjusted the rear view mirror (newly cleaned) and left a perfect set of fingerprints! Repeat offender - on parole - back to jail with him!

And then there was the time Papa's business was cased, he called the police and apprehended the guy, and his mates came and pulled a gun... well those fellows ended up in jail as well...

I really get the shits with people who think all they have to do is TAKE stuff from those who work hard for it. Want a job? Come ask! But don't take stuff that aint yours! Grrrr.

That sucks man!

I know in 2003 I was able to wander around with NZ$2k cash in my pocket & my passport in the other with no fear. Wouldn't do the same anywhere else, not even NZ.

I haven't been the victim of crime since I was 7 and some burglars used my sports bag to carry off electronics & jewelery. I lost all of my littlest pet shop ponies!

Yeah...wasn't nice Minty...but you get on with it.

I think I only have had so many experiences because I am old! lol

BOTH invasions we were without our dogs at the time.

The first we were selling and the dog put people off so we had him boarded for the sale period. The second we had moved and while the dogs were boarded they died (they were both old and the boarder convinced us to put them both down - at separate times - because they were suffering. We would have been too emotional to make that decision on our own but it was the best). After the 2nd invasion I told Papa to start looking for a new dog. We have two again now.

I'm sorry to hear about that MB. I certainly sympathize with you.

I wish "karma" worked in the way it was supposed to. I have found many wallets and always returned them without even a peek into the contents. I helped stopped someone from getting mugged once.

Yet, I'm sure someone had to witness someone near my bike doing something as it was in a pretty busy area and during the day. I was also once mugged by 3 black kids after getting off the subway in which a couple people saw then ran away. After I took a swing and hit one the other two hit me quite a few times and one pulled a gun then ran off with my wallet for a measly amount of money.

Not to mention one of my good friends who lives not more than 2 miles from me had his truck stolen out of his driveway. Right out of his driveway. The police located it about 3 months later outside Oakland, CA with a family of crackheads living in it.

had my bike stolen from my garden shed (they jimmied the roof off and lifted my bike out), had clothes stolen from my washing line, had my house broken into and some clothes, VCR and my brother's games console pinched....Dad had his car broken into while it sat in our driveway. That all happened at home, had my bike pinched here.....it was a heap of shit, I got it for free and I had a lock on it that was about as much of a deterrent as a 2 yr old girl.

Originally Posted By: MitchPee
Since I have lived in Utah I have had my laptop, Ipod, longboard, headphones, and now bike stolen.

Not good.
Is Utah particluarly bad or something Mitch?

Burglary has to be one of the worst. The thought of people coming into your house. Takes ages to get over. Relative of mine got broken into a few years ago. The people breaking in cut a hole in the roof of the extension and got in that way.

sadface

Originally Posted By: klingon
Originally Posted By: MitchPee
Since I have lived in Utah I have had my laptop, Ipod, longboard, headphones, and now bike stolen.

Not good.
Is Utah particluarly bad or something Mitch?

Nope, relatively safe state compared to most. Salt Lake City is somewhere around the 42nd? biggest metro area and yet this stuff happens all the time.

Sounds like some bad luck there Mitch sorry to hear that.

Don't hear much of that kind of thing here. Keep hold of your umbrella though, lots of them get taken!

Originally Posted By: Curt
Sounds like some bad luck there Mitch sorry to hear that.

Don't hear much of that kind of thing here. Keep hold of your umbrella though, lots of them get taken!

yeah, umbrella theft is rife!! I had about 5 hanging outside my house (I'd bought EVERY one....honest), but one particularly rainy morning I awoke to find that there were none left...people passing had pinched them!! lol

Did any of them ever come back home? I've heard of that happening. The one that has happened to me was someone "upgraded" their umbrella - taking my somewhat nicer one, and leaving me their krappy clear vinyl 100-yen-store one.

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA Update:

I found the bike! It was a one of a kind frame so it was very easy to recognize.

So anyway, our friends live in a pretty rough area of town. There's a 711 right next door to them and they went to get some drinks. Shortly after I see a phone call answer and they say: "I think we have your bike" I gave them a good description of distinct features (size, significant scratches, bald rear tire, etc) and they hold the bike there. I drove as fast as I could and notified the police I filed the report with. Sure enough there is a short Mexican kid that tried to claim the bike was his. I got there and immediately asked him where he got it. He told me he got it from a shop and when I told him the shop doesn't sell that brand of bike he tried to run. Upon running I chased him down and jumped on back of him and we held him there until the cops came. I must admit I let my anger slip a little and got him good in the face.

The cops had caught him before at the University trying to steal a bike. Apparently this piece of scum lives in West Valley City and rides the train up to our area to clip bikes then rides them downtown to sell them. This may lead to a series of arrests and hopefully some more bikes recovered like mine. So so so happy such an awesome night and cannot believe the chances of this came true.

Originally Posted By: Schneebored
MitchPee you hero! You need to get yourself a cape, some tights and put your undies over the top!

I cannot tell you how happy this makes me. Karma finally worked for me. biggrin

well done Mitch, that kid deserved a good slapping so don't feel guilty about it.......I bet it was very satisfying to see his fat face wobble when you belted him!! lol

Originally Posted By: KlingKlang
Do many cars get stolen here?

Can't remember EVER hearing of a stolen car incident, though surely there are some.

Never heard of any.

In recent years I have heard of more house break ins, but still relatively few. Especially when you consider how many people leave their houses unlocked even when they are out for a fair while.
Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Originally Posted By: KlingKlang
Do many cars get stolen here?

Can't remember EVER hearing of a stolen car incident, though surely there are some.

Never heard of any.

In recent years I have heard of more house break ins, but still relatively few. Especially when you consider how many people leave their houses unlocked even when they are out for a fair while.

Crazy. I personally know 7? people who have had their cars stolen. I would absolutely never leave my house unlocked at night...not even for a minute.

I reckon some of my neighbours almost never lock their houses.

Even if they go out for a few hours.

There have been times when I have knocked on the (open) door and shouted loudly and no-one is there. And I know for a fact that they weren't just ignoring me wink as I noticed them come back.

Seems mad to do that without locking their door, but thats the way it is.