Has anyone on here ever been addicted to 'hard' drugs and been on a life downward spiral, or known someone close?

I have just heard that an old friend of mine back in the States is in a bad way - he is being treated for herion addiction after attempting suicide twice. It sounds like his life is a real mess.

The most shocking thing is that 5 years ago when I last saw him, it seemed he was on top of the world - big paying job etc.

sadface

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow Tubby that is really sad.

As are the others ... but young kids gone ... :(

I've known a few people who have used hard drugs, not been 'addicted' but realized they were getting out of control and quit. Gone on to do really well. But the couple I have known that have been sent off to rehab keep relapsing.

the 1st girl was the youngest known prostitute in the city....13yrs!! omg

the 2nd girl came from a nasty background, was pretty tough but generally a good sort, TBH I wasn't surprised when I found out she was using. A victim of circumstance, no parental support or guidance, hanging out with older men, I could see where it was heading and was powerless to change it. She left school and her life nosedived, we were (the school) the only stable structure in her life and although she wasn't a great student, she wasn't bad. She'd go through stages of coming and trying really hard, then we wouldn't see her for a bit and the cycle would roll on. That one was tough because I worked very close wth her and like I said she was a great girl at heart.

The 3rd girl died a few months ago. A huge shock when I read it in the newspaper

My high school was one of the worst in the state in terms of dropout. We grew up in a relatively poor city where you could find pretty much anything drug wise. Had a lot of friends in Boston too that grew up in the infamous Dorchester neighborhood (poor white/black neighborhood) since my family had ties there.

Everytime I go home there's at least 2 people I knew in prison or dead. I consider myself very fortunate to not have been subjected to the same atmosphere as some of them. It's really sad to see how people don't change and whether it be alcohol, cocaine, etc just continue on with their ways. I am not going to pretend I'm an angel. I have experimented with drugs, but I know when enough is enough and I know how to come to terms with doing things in moderation. Plus, I like the feeling of being sober and active too much to consume mass amounts of drugs.

A good book to read is Scar Tissue.

It's Anthony Kiedis's (The Red hot chilli peppers lead singer) autobiography.

It gives you a good insight into the grip of addiction.

Originally Posted By: MitchPee

Everytime I go home there's at least 2 people I knew in prison or dead.

Would like to think that dead people don't suddenly come back to life.. wink
Originally Posted By: MitchPee
I am not going to pretend I'm an angel. I have experimented with drugs, but I know when enough is enough and I know how to come to terms with doing things in moderation. Plus, I like the feeling of being sober and active too much to consume mass amounts of drugs.

Yes, some of us have another white powder addiction party

All sorry stories of course, but is there any particular reason why people should feel too much sympathy for people who inflict this kind of thing on themselves?

I'm afraid I find it quite hard to be sympathetic when I look round and see so many people suffering badly with things that they have absolutely no control over and have done nothing to deserve.

GG you do have a point of course. It is all self inflicted, but how much choice does a 13yr old have? They look around, they have no parental support or guidance, no positive adult role models except for schools and the effectiveness of schools upon life outside of the school is almost zero, they are surrounded by drugs and drug culture.....the peer pressure to try is unbelievably huge. It's certainly not the case for all 13yr olds, I didn't grow up in that kind of environment. My parents, while not rich financially, were rich morally (if you want). Very supportive, tolerant and firm when needed. I truly thank the heavens that my parents and my family gave me the proper support and guidance that has made me the person I am today. I'd imagine that 99.9% of the people on here have had the same or similar upbringing as me, hard working parents who loved and supported their kids and done their best. But its not our demographic that we are really talking about.

Yeah I can understand what you are saying TB. That kind of situation with kids and stuff is very sad for sure and a big problem, though have no first hand experience of it myself. I do feel sympathy for that kind of case, of course.

It's quite a different thing from the dudes with cash who get into it simply for the kicks, though isn't it. Which is what I'm really on about.

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Yeah I can understand what you are saying TB. That kind of situation with kids and stuff is very sad for sure and a big problem, though have no first hand experience of it myself. I do feel sympathy for that kind of case, of course.

It's quite a different thing from the dudes with cash who get into it simply for the kicks, though isn't it. Which is what I'm really on about.

yeah, I agree with that. Adults who actually do have the choice, take what they get
Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads

I understand that, but I also understand people that are products of their environment. A lot of people I know that use and abuse heavy drugs are people that have never been given an opportunity in life. It's easy for outsiders to look in and judge.

Now I am not saying everyone has a justifying reason for being addicted to drugs and not a lot of them do. However, if you can conceptualize what it is like for a 13 year old to just have a mother who works and then comes home and smokes crack...what are the chances you are going to end up like that? Again, there are plenty of successful people from broken homes, but I don't feel enough people truly understand what that is like and are very quick to pass judgement.

Yeah mitch, I think GG recognises that its extremely dfficult for chldren who are brought up in that destructive environment to NOT fall into the same pattern. I think what he means are adults who get into drugs for kicks. So they already perhaps have a good job, plenty money and all the things which negate the arguement that me and you put forward of being products of their environment.