Cost of being single: £254,082

Yikes.

Lets getting non-singled!

Quote:
Single people end up spending more than £250,000 over the course of their life because they are not part of a couple, research has suggested.

Having to carry the full burden of a mortgage, holiday costs, insurance premiums and utility bills all adds up, according to the study by uSwitch, the price comparison website.

According to the survey, the annual premium for being single is £4,794, which between the ages of 22 to 75 adds up to £254,082.

I can see holiday costs mentioned. That would mean a single supplement for hotels I guess.

But really, I look back on my single days and they were fabulous. But now married, I think it's fabulous too.

Yup, before we met Mr Minty could cover all his bills and the mortgage easily, but he only had enough spending money left for a few ski trips a year within NZ only. He never got to travel overseas.

I could cover my bills and rent, but it was a bit hard going.

Now we're together we cover everything easily with a huge (in our opinion, but to many people probably small) disposable income which we save 90% of. This year the excess is paying for our wedding and ski honeymoon to Japan.

So I can quite easily believe the figures in the article above.

Kids, gah, why do they cost so much. My mum told me today to only have as many kids as I can carry, I like that advice!

Originally Posted By: thursday
I'm coming just the same. Please include king crab on the seafood table. That will ensure the Scots stay away.

BOOOOO!! No King Crab!! clap
Originally Posted By: MintyNZ

Kids, gah, why do they cost so much. My mum told me today to only have as many kids as I can carry, I like that advice!

So far kids have saved me lots, mainly coz we don't go eating and drinking on the town anymore and don't travel as much.

Biggest cost for our kid is day care. Still at less than Y3,000 per day for around 8 hours of care it's still damned cheap. Most of her clothes currently are hand me downs from other parents in the area or gifts from grandparents. Most of her food at home is just the scraps off our plates, formula and still a little boobie action now and again. Plenty of her toys are home made but toys are damned cheap here anyway, at least the ones we buy. Her pram was not cheap but you need something pretty good to be able to use it in winter and her car seats are about the best we can buy here but overall she doesn't cost us too much yet. Guess the costs will really start piling up as she gets older though...

pre-nursery school is the big one. And then the interest classes like swimming, ice-skating, music stage class.

Some nutters have started their kids on financial markets. Poor kids.

Read a similar article on the Sydney Morning Herald 20 years ago, and it was along the lines of " It costs a single 90 grand yearly income to be happy, because they have to go out more often to be seen, and play that game"

Originally Posted By: thursday
pre-nursery school is the big one. And then the interest classes like swimming, ice-skating, music stage class.

Some nutters have started their kids on financial markets. Poor kids.

Read that book "Rich dad, poor dad" ?
That's the idea. Start them early.

Probably walked with his head down not only to see if he can pick up some money someone dropped, but to see if he can sell a pebble.

Buy some comic books and make it a private library and charge your mates money to come and read them. What an arsehole kid.