I agree with muikabochi that the first place on my mind is Shiga coming from Kansai,

But if it's only an extra day ski, would it be worth it there? A few days in Shiga (or Hakuba ) will be nicer. So thought of something out of the box.

Then again, taking a ski bus overnight might be the go. I'm sure there would be bus from Osaka, Nagoya, etc. The question is how to get to Noz from there.

It sounds like a good trip but this is your honeymoon right - travelling around finding places can be a bit stressful at times especially when you are lugging around a couple of dead bodies effectively - agree with a few others tone down a bit and cut out 25 precent of the touristy stuff - have a great trip - bhope you are getting some good days in NZ

Ahhh, now I get it.

We're not exactly typical honeymooners - if we had wanted a nice relaxing honeymoon we'd go to Thailand or Rarotonga smile but we hate sitting around doing nothing but relax.

My trip to Japan in high school was full on, like three (yes three, one with the organisers and one with each family I stayed with) day trips to himeji, day trips to Osaka, Kobe, Kyoto, etc etc, and tbh it did all seem to blur a bit (Though I blame that on teenage hormones and the cute guy from my kiwi school who also went on the trip)

For us, cruisey is spending two or three days in a place and wandering around finding things to look at and food to eat. So never fear smile If we are stressing out we'll just change our plans for the day.

I've had so much help from everyone who has posted so far - it is really really fantastic and I'm so glad I found this forum!! Thank you so much everyone and keep posting as anything could happen on this trip!

Originally Posted By: boardbaka
It sounds like a good trip but this is your honeymoon right - travelling around finding places can be a bit stressful at times especially when you are lugging around a couple of dead bodies effectively - agree with a few others tone down a bit and cut out 25 precent of the touristy stuff - have a great trip - bhope you are getting some good days in NZ

Not really.

Two of my friends came over on their honeymoon in May for two weeks, and as I said to them, as long as you have a "base" hotel that is central to your plans, you can dump the cases there during the days you don't need them.

Minty,

You asked what the long distance train routes are like in Japan - I assume you mean non-shinkansen routes? It really depends, but when you come from a country like the UK where train services are massively "variable" depending on the operator, in Japan JR do a pretty good job more or less everywhere to run trains regularly, on time without weather disruption. Check the very convenient hyperdia site for updated schedules and route guidance:

http://www.hyperdia.com/

I assume you are buying JR rail passes before you leave NZ?

Based on the distances between the places that you plan to go, there'd be no advantage to flying over such short stretches.

SdS