Where can I find snow in Japan in November 2010?

Dear all,

I'm novice in snowboard and will have a chance to go to Japan in mid- November. Any chance some place already have lots of snow at that time? (although I know this is a little bit early to ask)

My trip is still planning so it is still flexible for where I can go.

Thanks,

Winston

(I'm new in here so please forgive me if I made anything wrong).

probably not any resort open with natural snow. Naeba and I think Marunuma in Gunma open with man made snow about that time, but the courses are pretty short

Within striking range of Tokyo:

Not lots of snow, but Marunuma Kogen in Gunma opens mid-November with man-made snow. Snowtown Yeti near Mt. Fuji opens even earlier (mid-October).

Add: Karuizawa opens somewhere in between.

Then there are some indoor options, Sayama and Snova, which are closer to Tokyo.

A few other places sometimes manage to open by late November, but last year none of them did as far as I can recall.

Correction: Kagura opened 23 Nov. last year.

May be more options in Hokkaido. (Cue GN.)

Just wait until you are here. You will be able to book in anywhere during that time. No use in planning something now. If you had to plan I would go for Karuizawa because of their snowmaking capabilities.

Hi all,

Thanks for your advice. I will do some research on the place you listed one by one....

Any suggestion if I also go to Hokkaido?

Thanks again for all your help.

smile

Winston

Yep, thats another trip in its self. If you want to go further North the same principle applies- just wait until the snow falls and choose you destination. We will be around to assist.

Probably some in Zao, but not guaranteed at all and very limited.

The resort last year opened (very small area with not much snow) on 22nd November.

Very risky time!

Karuizawa would be artificial and best suited for novices.

If you can wait a month, say mid December, or even perhaps early-mid, you'd have better chances of finding snow.