A friend of mine has recently sent me a few dvds of a comedy sitcom series called Early Doors. It's set in a small pub in Manchester and similar in quite a few ways to The Royle Family. Both of them are very very dry and.... "northern" and for someone like me are very funny. I bet people in other areas of England have a really different outlook on things like this and people from other countries probably watch it bewildered - because it is so very strongly set and the humour in that location.

Any comedy from where you are from that is very strongly linked to the region?

I'd be interested to hear of any and see if I find them funny.

Quote:
Early Doors is a BBC sitcom written by Craig Cash and Phil Mealey. The setting is The Grapes, a small pub in Manchester, where daily life revolves around the issues of love, loneliness and blocked urinals. A number of the landmarks referred to in the series are places in Stockport. In fact there is a pub in the Edgeley area of Stockport called The Grapes but this is not thought to be linked to the series.

The action centres on pub Landlord Ken (John Henshaw), especially his preoccupation with his daughter Melanie (Christine Bottomley), who is preparing to meet her real dad, and his nervous relationship with barmaid Tanya (Susan Cookson). Ken's wife left him for his best friend.

The series reflects more than a little of the northern humour displayed in The Royle Family (co-written by Cash). In a similar style to The Royle Family every scene unfolds within the spatial context of The Grapes. Two series of the show were produced between 2003 and 2004.

The title is a British slang phrase meaning those who arrive earlier than is customary, and is often associated with pub customers who wait for or arrive soon after evening opening, around 5.30pm. (Until the law was changed in 1988 pubs in England closed in the afternoon. Most are now open all day.) It is also widely heard in British football circles, and was in fact resuscitated from disuse in comments about football. The phrase originates in the practice of British theatres from around 1870 of allowing customers who paid a little extra to enter the theatre early and choose their own seats before the rush just before the performance started.

Originally Posted By: thursday
wakaranai **** medoh

There you go. A fine example of my original point.

(Did you even have time to watch more than 20 seconds of it?!)
Originally Posted By: thursday
I know funny. and that is not it. THAT IS NOT IT.

Originally Posted By: pie-eater
lol

I quite enjoy people saying what thurs just said.
Cool with me.

thumbsup

That is good. 'cos I studied funny at Dave Allen's.
  • 9 months later...